July 14, 2005

Youthful Indiscretions Part II

Since Laziest Girl sparked this line of thought with her post today, and since we here at The Fount firmly believe that confession is good for the soul...or a laugh, if nothing else (people's exhibits A, B, C, and D), The Fount of Useless Information proudly presents a follow up to the earlier post about music that I'm ashamed to have liked as a child:

Youthful Indiscretions Part II: The Cinema

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Oh yeah. I cannot tell you how many times I saw this in the theater. I loved this movie more than I can express, although the fact that the number of times I saw it was in the double digits helps express it a little bit. It also helps show that this was at a time when I either didn't pay my own way to the movies or didn't have anything better to spend my money on.

The Karate Kid. Never mind that Daniel-San and Mr. Miyagi had the beginnings of a uber creepy relationship. Never mind that his mom picked up and moved them to California for what really appeared to be no reason. Never mind the line, "Sweep the leg" which might have been the least menacing villain line in cinematic history. This movie made me go around singing "You're the best...Around!" for the next three years. And was Daniel always that whiny or did he get worse as I got older.

The Karate Kid II. See comments above, only now the relationship with Mr. Miyagi has progressed to the point that Daniel wants to travel across the globe with him. What, you didn't feel that way about your teachers? Also, when this movie came out, the theater was oversold and many people had to stand throughout the entire film. Looking back, that makes me really sad.

Top Gun. I only have two thoughts on this one. Did we really all think that this was good when it first came out? And this movie is without a doubt the source of all of those rumors that Tom Cruise will sue you for mentioning. While we are talking about Tom Cruise...

A Few Good Men. I really, really loved this movie. If I watch it now it looks like an overacting competition between Cruise and Jack Nicholson. However, with Demi Moore, Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Keifer Sutherland, Noah Wyle, Cuba Gooding Jr., Kevin Pollack, and of course Kevin Bacon it can help you play a mean game of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Anything with Corey and Corey. Actually that should be anything with Corey and Corey, other than The Lost Boys. There are some movies from my youth that I will not allow to be disparaged: Lost Boys, Goonies, Real Genius, Ghostbusters (just the first one, you can say whatever you want about that one...I might even join in.).

That's just a small sampling. It's not an all-inclusive list, but it's enough to be traumatic. I hope you all enjoyed my humiliation. Please join in the fun by telling us all about your "I can't believe I used to like this" movies.

Until later...You can be my wingman anytime

7 comments:

Matt said...

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Laziest Girl said...

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves? Shesh. But I'll pay the Karate Kid I and II. Do you remember that song (can't remember the name but sing along why don't you?) - "I'll be the one who will fight for your honour".

Oh God - and I just remembered - The Last Starfighter. That was my favourite movie, even though I couldn't figure out what a beer blast was, let alone why you would have to go down to the lake to do it.

Or speaking of Kevin Bacon, what about Footloose. You couldn't go wrong with Footloose really. Oh how I longed for a pair of red cowboy boots. And again, a great soundtrack - remember that song "Lets hear it for the boy"?

But I guess this is only fun if I let everyone have a turn huh?

Becki said...

Footloose. Another great dancing movie. The last starfighter was awesome, and Real Genius is still a classic. And since I watched The Neverending Story last night I can reliably say that is still one of my fave fantasy movies ever. I too watched Robin Hood over and over. But I was 14 and Christian Slater was in it so there ya go. And the Corey's...God bless the Corey's.

Litany said...

A Few Good Men is great!!

They filmed the Cuba luncheon scene in an island in San Pedro, CA (near LA) where one of my friends lived.

She got to meet Demi Moore, grrr.

Craig said...

Special thanks go out to JP, whose profile pic of Bolo Yeung reminded me of another movie that should be on this list, Bloodsport. I loved that movie as a highschooler. I watched it over and over and over. It was on TV recently and I made it through about 5 minutes. I'm sure the martial arts scenes hold up pretty well, but there's just too much Jean Claude Van Damme trying to act.

Matt said...

Oh, that figures. You were the one who always had Bloodsport rented when my friends and I went in to get it, weren't you. I seriously should have guessed.

Back then, how great was it to see Ogre in a nice guy role? Now, if I see it on TV, I always come in at the end, where J-C's blind because he's got that dust in his eyes and he almost hits that referee, but he helps him out of the way instead. Oh, damn... I told myself I wouldn't cry.

Craig said...

Ah yes...These are my people!