February 16, 2005

Confessions of a Skittle Sorter

Ok, I think I've made references on here before to the fact that I may, possibly have a few obsessive tendencies. With that in mind, on to today's blog; it's confession time once again.

1. There is a definite reason I chose to read Devil in the Details. It's not just that it's funny--I can relate much more than I would like to admit.

2. People with OCD probably should be prohibited from blogging. It's not that I have to blog everyday. I can stop anytime I want. Ok, that may be an exaggeration. By may be I mean is and by exaggeration I mean complete lie. I have to restrain myself from posting multiple things in a single day. Everything I see, hear, eat, watch, read or say I think about what I would write about it. I think I need help.

3. I love the Pepsi iTunes promotion. For those of you not familiar with the contest, one of every 3 bottles has a cap with a code for a free song download on iTunes. Each song on iTunes costs $0.99. Contrast this with the price of a 20 oz. soft drink: $1.00-1.19 on average (plus the $0.10 deposit here in MI). I know that the possibility of winning a free song does not justify buying a drink, but I do it anyway. My Diet Mountain Dew consumption has skyrocketed because of this game. The other day, the store had no Diet Mountain Dews with the iTunes game caps, so I drank a regular Mountain Dew (and won). Last year during this promotion, the caps were not on Mountain Dew products so I drank only Diet Pepsi for about two months instead. Why wouldn't I buy only the drinks I want and only buy them when I want/need them? I don't want to buy them. A lot of the time I go in thinking I won't buy a drink, or that it's the last time, but I come out with them anyway. Stupid compulsions. (In the interest of full disclosure, I have won 6 times so far.)

4. I also love candy. My will power for resisting candy in a convenience store is almost as bad as it is with the aforementioned iTunes promotion. Given the choice of any candy, I would choose chocolate. However, if I am going to be sitting somewhere with a space to work, I will often choose Skittles instead. You see, I can't just open a bag of Skittles and eat them. That's far too simple, and the flavors should never be allowed to mix. I have to sort them. I have a specific routine that must be adhered to or something will happen. I'm not really sure what will happen, as I refuse to find out. First, take a handful of Skittles and lay them out on the table. Now sort each color into its own little pile, or better yet put them in a row. Once you have sorted the Skittles by flavor, determine the number of each color you have (e.g. 5 purple, 4 green, 2 yellow, 6 red and 3 orange) and sort the piles/rows by number in descending order from left to right. Ok, now we can eat. Wait! Don't just grab any Skittle! You have 6 reds; you have to eat one of those first. Ok, now you have 5 reds and 5 purples; it's ok to eat either one, followed by the other, bringing us to 4 each of red, purple and green. Continue this process until all groups are consumed, then remove a second handful of Skittles from the bag. Repeat sorting, collating, filing and eating. Wow, candy makes me tired. I'm ready for a nap.

This has been both amusing an embarrassing. While I'd love to humiliate myself a little more, it's almost time for Lost to come on...not that I'd obsess about TV shows or anything.

Before I go, a non-OCD related note: I noticed a comment on yesterday's post from another blogger, named Laziest Girl. This brought up a couple of things. First, it made me wonder how a blogger in Australia happened to come across my blog (hey, she even commented on my second post ever back in January). Second, it got me to check out her blog, which is pretty amusing and even has a reference to yesterday's post. (If other people mention my blog on their blog, does that make me famous?)

Until later...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Is the wife of the Skittle Sorter allowed to comment on the OCD issue? CK also checks his alarm clock a minimum of 3 times prior to laying down to slumber and askes me a minimum of 3 times if I have checked MY alarm clock.

I don't sort Skittles - because I don't care for Skittles. Now, give me a bag of M&M's and off I go... My sorting method is similar, but my colors have to be in a specific order. I also have specific cups (5 of them) at work for specific pens/markers/pencils. I actully check them every morning and hide them when I go on vacation. {sigh}

We have discussed the fact that we probably should not breed and mix our genetics. (Don't tell CK's mom!)