February 23, 2005

Doughnut Diatribe

I was on my way to work this morning when a commercial for Dunkin Donuts came on. They were advertising their new cappuccinos, lattes and other coffee drinks. The voice over man (VOM) then began describing the wonderful drinks and how they were made from fresh beans delivered personally to the store by Juan Valdez and his donkey, made with milk the employees of DD obtained from the cow earlier that morning, etc. Halfway through his description of the drinks, VOM states that they are made from "perfectly brewed expresso."

Huh? I'm sorry, what?

Expresso?

I should probably interject for a moment here and say that I am not a coffee snob. In fact, I don't like coffee at all. Anything with bitter flavor is overpowering to me and prevents any other flavors from being detected. Flavored coffees, various flavored cappuccinos, mocha...it all tastes the same to me. All I can taste is coffee, even when other people insist they can hardly taste it anymore. I personally like to think that my issues with bitter tastes are because my taste buds are attempting to give me extra protection against poisoning. Whatever the reason, the end result is that I can't handle anything that's very bitter at all: coffee, tea, dark greens that haven't been prepared absolutely perfectly. Anyway, back to the point.

So there I am, sitting in my car, driving to work, annoyed with VOM for saying "expresso" rather than "espresso." Then I start getting annoyed because the commercial is making me wonder if frustration over his use of a nonexistent word makes me petty?

That's when it hit me: I was surprised and annoyed, but this was coming from the company that misspelled both Dunking and Doughnuts in their name.

Until later...

3 comments:

Melissa said...

You didn't mention that I am a coffee snob (having worked at a place that makes the drinks) and had I been in the car and heard the commercial, would have had a complete cow when VOM said expresso - that being one of my many pet-peeves.

Melissa said...

ALSO - if you can't say it, most likely you cannot make it properly!

Obviously I am annoyed by the commercial that I have never even heard!

JAW said...

I tried being a coffee snob once, but it wasn't fun. Therefore, every morning I simply drink my one-two cups of coffee straight black, sans sugar or milk. Or expresso.