July 16, 2005

Burger King, Amazon.com & The Not-So-Fantastic Four Game

As with many big summer movies, there is an incredible amount of hype surrounding Fantastic Four. Along with the release of the movie, comes an interminable number of product tie-ins.

One of these tie-ins is a game currently going on at Burger King. When you buy a meal at BK, you receive a Fantastic Four Amazon Cash Card. These gift cards contain a code that will be worth between $1 and $10000 in Amazon store credit. When I went into Burger King to pick up dinner the other night, I ordered the food, paid and waited while they bagged everything. When they gave me the order, I realized that I had not received my amazon cards and on the off chance that I might win an enormous shopping spree, I inquired about them. The employees seemed perplexed by the concept and some of them openly admitted that they didn't know anything about the contest (Nice work on the training there, Burger King.) Eventually, the lone employee with a clue, came over and handed me a stack of cards. It seems that since neither the employees nor the patrons are particularly well-informed about this game not many of the cards are being handed out. When I returned home, I counted the cards she had handed me (I had ordered two meals, entitling me to two cards) and found that there were eighteen of them. We entered the codes online, and, unsurprisingly, all of them were $1 values, but if someone gives me twenty bucks of Amazon store credit, I'll take it...gladly.

We began wondering what to buy, after all there are plenty of things to buy on amazon, most of which cost well over the eighteen dollars. As we looked around more and more we found the following bit of clarification:

Q. If I have multiple Cash Cards, can I add all of their values together?
A. No. You can collect more than one Amazon credit, but Amazon Credit is not accumulative, which means you cannot add Amazon Credits together.
So we don't have eighteen dollars in Amazon store credit, we have eighteen separate $1 credits...because that's useful.

Until later...

5 comments:

thordora said...

nice....there'a always a catch, isn't there.

It's like when we were kids, looking for the cool toy in the cereal. I always got the ugly crap one that broke in a day...

Becki said...

That's crap.

Craig said...

Thordora, Did anyone ever get one that wasn't the ugly crap one that broke in a day?

Herge Smith said...

I did.

It broke at the weekend.

Laziest Girl said...

That sucks. No, really, it totally sucks. Honestly, why don't they just start again with those little plastic Muppet Babies. I'd write a letter to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen if I were you.