July 28, 2005

Senior Day?

On the way home this evening, we needed to stop by the grocery store to pick up chips and some limes to make guacamole (the avocados we had were ripe and rapidly moving past their peak). As we approached the entrance, we noticed a large number of elderly people walking out into the parking lot. Not thinking much of it we continued on into the store. There we were met with an entire store full of gray, white and blue-headed people. When I say that the customers in the store were old, I'm not using that in the completely incorrect, "everyone over 40 is old" sense. We're talking C. Montgomery Burns old here. At one point I decided that the MK and I were the only people in the store other than that kid with the bowl-cut that didn't remember the Lincoln assassination.

I'm not mentioning this to be unkind. I didn't have any problems with all of the elderly people...Well, there was the one woman almost ran me over with her little motorized cart. Twice. But other than that, it was just odd.

I'm still not sure what was going on. I thought that maybe today was a special Senior Quintuple Coupon Day, but I didn't see any ads. MK thinks that it was a singles event, like a Senior Citizen Meet & Greet. Judging by the way the greeter was flirting with some of the older women who walked in right behind us, she just might be right.

(Note: This has reminded me of my favorite story of elderly people and grocery stores, but that will have to wait for tomorrow.)

Until later...

2 comments:

Herge Smith said...

I like old people for only one reason - they always think I'm young.

Speak to someone in their 80's and say 'Gawd, I'm in my 30's, I'm sooo old' and they invariably will say something along the line of 'B'ah - you're practically a child'

Lovely.

Everything else they do is wrong and annoying.

If/when I'm 80 no way I'm reassuring so whiney tit who's moaning about being 30.

thordora said...

I just hope I don't have that smell...you know, that stench of slightly incontinent women mixed with starch and moth balls? The dirt mall next to my office is FULL of old WEIRD people who smell....

I just don't understand WHY they hang out at the grocery store...the express line at this one is only express when you're 80...

then again, when I'm 80, I expect I'll take my time JUST to piss off the angry looking girl glaring at me as I sweetly count my pennies...