July 02, 2005

More Fun With Statcounter

There has been plenty of discussion of statcounter on various blogs recently. I've even talked about it here before. One of the great things about it is that I can look at who has been reading the site and where they are located. For some people, I can even tell if they are reading from home or from work. The IPs belong to a different name or they come through a different city. If someone comments, I can often compare the hits from the commenting to the name and figure out just who is who (if I don't know already). The problem comes when there is a repeat visitor and I have no idea who they are or where they are coming from. They might be someone who's commented before and I missed matching location to name they might simply be a lurker.

For example, places that show up fairly often:

Las Vegas: 2 people. Know who it is.

Boston: Know who it is.

Missouri: Know who that is too.

Oregon: Pretty sure of this one.

Thousand Oaks, California: Yep.

New York, NY: One frequent visitor reading from work.

Bronx, NY: Multiple people on one IP. Know who that is.

Nashville, TN: I know who this is, and they are not in Nashville.

Dayton, OH: Here is the outlier. It would appear that someone at Wright State is reading. I don't think I know anyone there. I don't remember seeing a commenter that matched this. So Mr. or Ms. Wright State, if you're still reading, please comment. My OCD is getting out of control, and I may not be able to sleep until I can figure this out.

Ah, statcounter. More addictive than any street drug.


Until later...

12 comments:

Becki said...

I always forget to check mine. Then I check it all at once and go to all kinds of new blogs.

Laziest Girl said...

Sometimes I think it is better not to know. I have a frequent (and silent) visitor from the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet in Canberra (our federal government) who is particularly interested in my Bronski & Bernstein episode reviews. The mind boggles.

Craig said...

Ah yes, governmental inefficiency at its best. Apparently no country is immune.

Becki said...

More addictive than any street drug.

Just a couple nights ago I was actually compared to a crack addict because of my StatCounter habit.

Herge Smith said...

I'm just glad to read that their are other addicts out there... I don't feel quite so alone.
It's not so much being addicted to location/ isp/ recent visitors/ and browser type - I mean, I am addicted to these things - it's the bloody number of hits that drive me - and boy did they fall at the weekend - ouch.

I'm DSL PIPEX isp - just so you know.

thordora said...

I thought I was the only one dorky enough to have a problem with those. I purposely forgot the passwords...

Craig said...

Sadly, the only people commenting are those who I could already easily identify via their locations.

Becki, it may have been a bit of hyperbole to compare it to drugs. I hope for your sake that you aren't quite to the crack addict level yet.

Herge, I stare at the numbers all the time too. Getting linked on freekatie bought me several days of 400 visits. Now I'm back to <100 per day.

Thordora, forgetting the passwords would require me to wait long enough between log ins to forget them. Unfortunately, 30 minutes is not long enough. Besides, Firefox remembers for me.

Seeing the responses here, I wonder if we might perhaps need to start a support group.

thordora said...

ah, the wonderful thing about ADD is that unless I use ALL the same passwords, I forget them pretty much as soon as I write them...

plus, I never obsessed about being popular in high school. I really shouldn't now....

start a blog about the statcounter addiction...see what your stats are for it....

Craig said...

Fight the statcounter addiction by using statcounter? That's as absurd as trying to get people off of a drug like heroin by addicting them to another one. Oh, never mind.

Maddie said...

You should have a warning on that post. I read it yesterday and had to try it, and now can't stop looking at my (rather pitiful) stats.

Craig said...

Ooh, someone new! Yet another person whose movements I can track with statcounter.

Anonymous said...

I could never understand those stats. Either people are coming for 0 seconds or they are reading a single page for 4 hours. How long can someone stay on one page. Are they really enjoying that page or falling asleep on their desk while reading it?