July 20, 2005

The Second Dose of Trivia

More trivia today. The category: science, or food, or food science, or food manufacturing, or something else...It doesn't matter, just answer the question.

Have you ever noticed that when you buy a bag of potato chips from the grocery store the bag seems very puffy. It's pillow shaped, almost as if it's been inflated like a balloon. Obviously, this makes the bags look bigger and stretches out the labeling so that you see the entire thing, but there must be some other reason.

What's in there and why?

All the usual rules apply. Have fun.

Update: Congratulations to Becki who gave the correct answer last night. Unfortunately, it just took me a while to get around to posting about it here. Sorry to be so slow, but there's been too much going on.


Until later...

6 comments:

Becki said...

Ummm, I think the packaging companies use nitrogen gas as a preservative.

Becki said...

Bah...I had to drive all the way home before I got to a pc. But I'm in pajamas watching Dana Carvey now. That makes losing a little easier.

Becki said...

CCCKKKKK!!!! You seem down or something. Why so quiet?

MC Etcher said...

Inert gas, like Becki said. I don't know if it's nitrogen or not.

Laziest Girl said...

I always assumed it was just extra air - to stop the chips being crushed during packing, shipping etc?

Craig said...

Sorry, I'm a bit slow today. It is indeed nitrogen or some other inert gas. It's there to prevent the oxidation of the fat in the chips. Congrats to Becki.