July 11, 2005

I Can't Look Away

This weekend, I came into the living room while MK was watching television. To my horror, she had stopped flipping channels on MTV, which was showing a new reality show. As is my habit when either MTV or reality television are on, I scoffed with great derision.

As I sat to put on my socks and shoes so that I could go to the grocery store and library, I began to watch this strange phenomenon unfold in front of me. It seems that this show has a special twist that makes it different than every other reality show...this show is The 70's House. That's right, it's a group of late-teen early-twenty somethings having to live as if they were in the 1970's, complete with rotary phones, bad clothing and the Hustle. Yes, the Hustle. Whenever a special buzzer goes off, the housemates have to stop whatever they are doing (talking on the phone, eating, sleeping or showering) and do the Hustle. (Don't act like you aren't currently singing that as you read.) Like every other reality show we have competitions, rewards and eliminations. The competition this week was to split into two teams and play a high school basketball team. The team who scored the most points (2 to the other teams 0) won a fondue party while the other team had to deal with elimination. Sadly, the remarkably sheltered MTV crowd was completely perplexed by the concept of fondue and as they ate, one of the housemates exclaimed "That tastes like no cheese I've ever had." While our winners cringed at the idea of eating something that didn't come from McDonalds, our losers had to find out who will be eliminated. As it turns out, two members of the losing team were put up for elimination because they were not maintaining the illusion of the 70's (one used the terms "awesome" and "ballers", the other talked about how he wanted Botox). To determine who was to leave, there was only one option: a winner take all game of Operation.

As the show progressed, I repeatedly mocked the show, the idea and the people. Eventually, MK told me that if it was really so bad, I should stop watching it. I was quite offended and stormed out of the house and off to the library...just as soon as the show ended.


Until later...

6 comments:

Melissa said...

It's a good thing that MTV replays all their shows a billion times every weekend, I think I might have to add this to my TV repertoire, but "The 10 Spot" (is that what it is still called?) is too late for those of us over 30.

Matt said...

Ouch, I SO know what you mean. Reality TV has taken pop culture to new depths and sometimes it seems as if it's trying to out depth its own self. I'll find K watching some hideous piece of "which moron to vote off of the planet, next" trash and I'll stop to ridicule and watch and berate and watch, and suddently I've lost 15 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Becki said...

The worst part was that as I read that I thought "oooohhh I could totally kick ass on that show". I'm so ashamed.

Becki said...

Mmmmm.... Fondue!

Craig said...

I'm going to have to agree with you Becki. There's something wrong with anyone who doesn't love fondue.

I think the problem on the show may have been that the fondue was likely made with a cheese like gruyere and they were hoping for some melted Velveeta to dip the bread in.

Becki said...

Hee. The fondue place we have here in town was voted most romantic restaurant. Becki and I went and were swept away. Then that whore went with her boyfriend. To our restaurant!!