May 01, 2005

Today Is The Greatest...

Each month in the Kalamazoo area there is a local magazine published called Today. I end up picking it up every month at one of the local businesses that provides free copies. I do it to see if there any local events coming up or any new restaurants that I would like to try. I could easily skim the table of contents and ignore anything that didn't specifically fall into one of those two categories. Unfortunately, I almost always end up reading some of the articles, which then results in me shouting at inanimate objects, specifically the pieces of newsprint I am trying to decipher.

It seems that in the interest of savings, the Today Magazine is attempting to prove the infinite monkeys banging the keys of an infinite number of typewriters theory. This is a wonderful idea, and I'm sure all of the simians are most grateful the opportunity. As a reader, however, I would suggest that if they continue to employ refugees from the zoological gardens, it might also help to have a copy editor on the payroll. Any of you who have read my blog more than once realize that spelling, grammar and the like are not my strong suit either, but I make no claims of being even a quasi-professional.

In my search for interesting dining establishments this month, a wonderful article came to my attention. It featured a new restaurant called Fandango, which we will apparently all add to our "list to try of new restaurants" in the area (could you make sense of that? Me either.). Fandango specializes in small plate dining called "Tappas." The article doesn't really specify, but this may be related to a style of dining that is the specialty of many Spanish restaurants, usually referred to as tapas. It's draw is the "interactive" dining experience, since other restaurants in the area simply anesthetize you and shovel their offerings into your mouth. The article also explained that the "tappas style eating focuses on comradory (sic) and fun." After making sure that we all understand that Spanish cuisine is not Mexican, the author tells us about a few of the items on the menu. Among them is the "lobster with chorizo sausage" served with "a buerred blanc sauce." I have attempted to discover what might be in a buerred blanc sauce but thus far have been unsuccessful. According to Wikipedia, Buer is "a Great President of Hell, having fifty legions of demons under his command." I can only assume from this name then that it is some sort of white demon sauce.

I'm sure the restaurant is a wonderful place. In fact, I intend to go check it out. I just don't understand how this article could have made it past any editor. Of course, next month I'll go back out and pick up the new edition and start the whole process over again.

Until later...

No comments: