May 12, 2005

Fun With Words

Maybe this is just the nerd in me, but there are some words I absolutely love. The problem is that I can't just toss them out in a conversation, because most of them have obscure or absurd meanings, and the others have much more common synonyms. Today, I'll list a few along with their definitions. If you like them, maybe you can start working them into your conversations as well, and then it can spread to your friends and coworkers then to theirs and theirs and theirs. With any luck, we'll soon have an epidemic to rival the black plague, only without the swollen glands and painful death part.

Defenestrate: To throw someone or something out a window. I find it odd that we need a specific word for throwing someone out the window. Imagine using this in a police procedural drama on TV or in a movie.

Cop 1: (looks down at body on parking lot) We've got another one Jed.

Cop 2: I know Ezekiel. This isn't good. That's the third defenestration this year.

Cop 1: No Jed, not good at all. Does he have any ID on him?

Cop 2: Yeah, the license says he's Augustus Gloop.

Mrs. Gloop: (Comes running in screaming) Is that my husband? I have to see him. What's happened?

Cop 1: (Grabs Mrs. Gloop and keeps her away from scene) I'm sorry miss, I can't let you get any closer.

Mrs. Gloop: I have to see him, that's my husband. Is he ok?

Cop 2: I'm sorry ma'am. He didn't make it; he was...defenestrated. (Mrs. Gloop begins to sob) Don't worry, we'll catch this defenestrator before he defenestrates again.


Callipygian: (Also callipygous) Having shapely buttocks. I can think of so many ways to use this one, and none of them are appropriate. Fortunately, they're all amusing.

Pretentiously introducing one's wife/girlfriend: "This is my callipygian counterpart, Sharon."

Alliteratively addressing a friend: "So my callipygous companion, what movie are we going to see tonight?"

Shouting to women on the street from a construction site: "Woo baby! You are one callipygian honey! I wish my wife was half as callipygous as you!"

Pneumatic: Among other meanings, having a large bust. Coincidentally, I actually linked to an article a while back that used this word to describe Lindsay Lohan. Apparently in gossip columns, it's ok to comment on the size of someone's chest as long as you use a polite term for it. Non-gossip column suggestions for usage: see callipygian.

Onomatopoeia: Naming something with an imitation of its sound (e.g. pop). I like this one not so much for itself but for one of its adjective forms, onomatopoetic. On the rare occasion you can work that into a conversation, it's sure to get attention. Not positive attention, but attention.

Nonetheless: I like this simply because its a much more amusing word I can use to replace one of my verbal crutches, anyway.

Bildungsroman: It sounds so much better and so much less clichéd than saying "a coming of age story."

Redouble: To double. Huh?

Bubo: I thought this was appropriate, since I mentioned the plague earlier. It's such a happy sounding word for such a not-so-happy thing.

Superfluous: Excessive or unnecessary. Another one that makes my list because it's fun to say. Even better is the noun form, superfluity. Can anyone use that word and still be taken seriously?

Plethora: A superfluity or excess. This word is wonderful on its own, but is made that much better by an exchange in the movie Three Amigos.

El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?

Jefe: Yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.

El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?


I can never hear the word plethora without thinking of that movie.

Logorrhea: According to M-W.com it is "excessive and often incoherent talkativeness or wordiness." A simpler way to define it would be this: Me.

Those are a few of the words that I really love because they are pointless, absurd or just fun to say.

Feel free to comment and share your own. Then go out and use these words. Impress your friends. Alienate your coworkers.

As for me, I'm going to bed.

Until later...

2 comments:

Laziest Girl said...

One of my favourite words is glossolalia. To the mental health professional it means speaking gibberish - as in schizophrenic babblings. To the spiritually minded it means to speak in tongues - as in speaking to God. I love that there is this clear distinction.

thordora said...

ubiqitous will always be my favorite word...althought lately, lurking has been a personal favorite....