May 26, 2005

Book Review: Life of Pi

Before I start, I should say that I'll probably have a hard time reviewing this book very well, because I don't want to reveal too much for those who haven't read it yet.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel is deceptively simple in plot. An Indian boy named Pi loses his family in a shipwreck and is stuck on a life boat with a hyena, a zebra, an orangutan and a tiger. Eventually, only Pi and the tiger remain, and Pi must find a way to survive not only the ocean but also a rather hungry Bengal tiger for over 200 days.

While this description sounds simple and perhaps even cute, the book is hardly so straightforward. As Pi deals with trying to survive at sea, we follow his journey, and are forced to examine our ideas of life and death, faith and what exactly is truth.

The verdict: Life of Pi is a rare book combining wonderful storytelling with thoughts and ideas even more compelling than the adventure itself. Definitely very highly recommended.

Until later...

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Ever watch 'Corner Gas'?

They have a book club where they discuss 'The Life of Pi'

Laziest Girl said...

So what's next on the ol' "CK Proposed Reading List"? Don't even try to tell me that you don't have a list like this!

Craig said...

Charlotte, I haven't seen Corner Gas. I had to look it up on IMDB. I don't know that I actually have any way to watch it here in the States.

Laziest Girl, you've got me. I do have a list like that. I have a list of about 15 books I am planning to check out from the library. Right now, I'm trying to read Love in The Time of Cholera, but I've been too busy to get very far.