May 28, 2005

Doe, A Deer. A Female Deer!

As I drove to work yesterday morning, I noticed something odd on the side of the road. Standing just off to the left side of the road were two deer. I made sure to keep an eye on them to ensure that they did not decide cross in front of me. I'd like to say that it was because if I hit and killed a deer I would feel guilty about it, and that's partly true. However, to be completely honest, I was much more concerned with the damage that hitting an full-grown doe would do to my car.

As I continued along, I watched the deer contemplate how best to cross the relatively busy road. (We're talking about Kalamazoo, terms like busy and rush-hour are very relative.) Deer number 1 walked up to the edge of the road, looked around at the cars going 45-50 miles per hour (that's something like 75-80 kph for you metric folks) and decided to run away back to the trees behind it.

Deer number 2 edged closer to the road until it was almost on the pavement. When it saw the cars moving quickly past, rather than running away, it simply froze. It stared down the traffic and didn't move any closer. Of course, it didn't move any farther away either. As I watched deer number 2 contemplate playing a life and death game of Frogger, I thought of the many times a year I see deer dead on the side of the road, and I came to a conclusion.

Deer are stupid.


Until later...

2 comments:

thordora said...

a friend of mine who totalled a bronco on a deer decided one thing about them herself...

They all suffer from manic depression.

In her case, it was a crappy monday morning, and the bloody thing just came out of nowhere. She figures he sat there, waiting, thinking.."no one cares...it's not worth it anymore...that new guy is horning in on my women...I think I'll kill myself."

Or maybe not..

The Complimenting Commenter said...

Funny post. Makes me laugh. I like the thought about what it would do to your car. I would think the same thing. Nice job.