May 11, 2005

National Treasure

In addition to renting Hero this weekend, we also rented National Treasure. In the interest of time, I won't spend too long discussing it; I'll just give a few quick thoughts.

For those of you who haven't seen it, National Treasure is like an Americanized version of The DaVinci Code. Rather than running around Europe looking at historical artifacts for clues to find religious artifacts originally hidden by the Knights Templar, our heroes are running around the US looking at historical artifacts to find treasure originally hidden by the Knights Templar.

I was very impressed by the ingenuity of our Founding Fathers. They managed not only to start a country and to plan an elaborate scavenger hunt, but also to build a massive chamber underneath New York that no one's ever noticed.

As I watched Nicholas Cage struggling to deliver his lines with even a remote semblance of believability, I repeatedly found myself thinking, "Wait, this guy's got an Oscar, right?"

The Verdict: Much funnier than I expected. I laughed throughout the entire movie. It's too bad it wasn't supposed to be a comedy.

Until later...

1 comment:

Laziest Girl said...

I watched this movie not so long ago and was apalled that this passes for family entertainment. I guess if your parents are siblings and you have the IQ of the average house plant, it could be considered family entertainment (so THAT's what it's like in their family).

Wooden acting, ridiculous diaglogue, stupid, stupid film.