May 15, 2005

Refueling

I bought gas today at less than $2.00 a gallon for the first time since February. It was $1.99, but still less than two bucks. As I happily filled my gas tank, I thought back to a time around 5 years ago when we stopped to refuel and paid less than $0.80 per gallon.

There are two things that really upset me about this incident. First is that I not only paid just under two dollars for a gallon of gas, but that I practically celebrated while doing so. What bothers me the most is that, in the short span of five years and before I'm even 30, I've become one of those old people who reminisces about how much cheaper and better everything was when I was young.

Soon, I'll start telling any teenager filling his parents' car at the pump, "Back in my day, I could buy a gallon of gas for less than eighty cents. Oh, yeah. Things were different back then." Then I'll hitch my pants up until the belt is just below my armpits and the hem of the legs is about three inches above the top of my socks, and I'll saunter inside to pay for my gas with the change in my changepurse.


Until later...

No comments: