May 31, 2006

Monsoon Wedding (Anniversary)

As I mentioned in yesterday's TT question, we just had our eighth anniversary. We had decided to go directly from work to a relatively new Mexican restaurant that focuses on Oaxacan cuisine. Unfortunately, mother nature seemed to have other plans.

I left work just as a storm began to move through. I had parked close, but apparently not close enough. By the time I walked from my building to the turnstile that allows access to/from the parking lot, I was soaked. I then had another 30 or so feet to walk and get even more soaked. Where was my umbrella, you ask. Umbrellas don't really help much when the rain comes at you sideways like a giant wall of water. When I got to the car, I called MK to tell her that if we wanted to go out, I'd have to go home to change. She didn't really understand the magnitude of the problem until I picked her up at work and she saw me. My clothes were soaked, my hair was plastered down on my head and dripping into my face. When we got home, I realized that my socks even needed to be wrung out to get rid of all the water, because they weighed several times what they normally should.

Eventually, we headed out again (with a blanket on the driver's seat of the car so I didn't get wet simply from riding there) and made it to the restaurant. The food was quite good, which was very impressive since Mexican food of any sort here tends to begin and end with Taco Bell. Of course, access to decent Mexican food also meant that I ate way too much: Chicken mole, with tres leches cake and an incredibly delicious cup of Mexican hot chocolate for dessert.

I guess it might not have been the best idea, since today, 14-15 hours later, we were both still complaining about the raging heartburn, but it sure did taste good.

Until later...

2 comments:

Many Manifestos said...

Thanks for commenting on The Trivia Exchange. I look forward to you participating in future events. Like I said, the winner will be announced next Saturday.

My sig and I usually celebrate our anniversary on the closest weekend to the actual date, kinda like Memorial Day. You are a brave person for taking that feat on during a weekday.

M said...

Happy Anniversary! We love our Mexican food down here in Houston, but it's everywhere so we have choices. Our current fav is a hole in the wall place close to the house that serves authentic aztecian/mexican food. It's so good that you'll have to unbutton your top button of your pants after you get in the car.