May 08, 2006

You're My Inspiration

I was thinking recently about the titles I use for my posts and wondered how many of them are in fact references to something else. Since I lack the ability to ever let something go without actually finding out the answer, I went back and counted. I'm sure this doesn't come as too much of a surprise to any of you who have been reading for a while and certainly not to anyone who actually knows me in non-blog life. It's not everyone who would count all of the references in the titles from their blog and categorize them, but then it's not everyone who when asked by coworkers about the difference between frozen custard and ice cream (to help settle an argument about which has more fat and cholesterol) would provide them not only with an answer, but a spreadsheet detailing the caloric value, fat and cholesterol of each by both weight and volume (you've gotta account for the density difference due to all the air). Say what you will about obsessives, but we make fine researchers.

So, where do I get the inspiration for my titles? The only rule here was it had to be the title of a post (it would have taken months to count the references in each post) and it couldn't simply be the name of the movie in a review or anything like that.

TV: 18
The Simpsons: 8
He-Man: 1
SNL: 2
Futurama: 1
Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (Ok, it was a movie, but it was made for TV): 1
Seinfeld: 4
Looney Tunes: 1

Movies: 20
Forrest Gump:1
Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom: 1
Star Wars: 1
Marrying Man: 1
Silence of The Lambs: 2
Pulp Fiction: 1
Dodgeball: 1
Princess Bride: 1
Trading Places: 1
The Golden Child: 1
Grosse Pointe Blank: 1
The Holy Grail: 1
Superman II: 1
Ghostbusters: 1
Scarface: 1
Napoleon Dynamite: 1
Das Boot: 1
The Shining: 1
The Wizard of Oz: 1

Music: 32 (33 if you count this one)

Ad Slogans: 1

Ad Jingles: 1

Books: 2
Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim: 1
Children's books: 1 (The Celery Stalks at Midnight)

Historical Quotes: 4

So that's a total of 78 pop-culture (or historical) inspired titles. The big surprise to me came from the movie section. The only movie I used for a title twice was Silence of the Lambs. Of all the places to draw quotes from... Well, now we know where all these titles came from. The better question would be if they still make any sense if I were to go back and read the post now. I don't think I'll conduct that study. There are some things I'd probably rather not know.

Until later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is totally awes. I've always wondered how many people read one of my titles, followed by the entry, and go, "HUH?" Oh, wait. I know. Three. Because that's about how many people actually read my blog.

MC Etcher said...

what a wonderfully OCD post!