July 01, 2006

You'll Believe a Man Can Fly

We went to see Superman Returns today. I wasn't sure what to expect. I've talked before about my issues with Superman. He's just not human. Yes, I realize that he's a character from another planet, but that isn't what I mean. He's almost invincible. There's no conflict in him. Normal human's simply do not relate to him. An invincible hero who always knows what is right is a great thing if you need someone to save you, but it isn't that helpful in setting up drama.

Fortunately, Singer sets out to get over these limitations with Superman Returns. The film picks up in a world without Superman. It's been five years since anyone has seen him, and he has left Earth to go in search of any remnants of his home world and civilization. When he returns from his quest, he finds that Lois Lane and the people of Earth have moved on. Lois is engaged, has a young child and is about to accept a Pulitzer for her editorial article, "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman."

As he returns to his job at the Daily Planet as Clark Kent, he must come to grips with the changes in both of the lives he lives. As Superman, he returns to action, first in one location then all over the globe. At the same time, Lex Luthor has managed to get out of prison (because Superman didn't show up when called as a witness at his appeal) and get his hands on a fortune. Luthor hatches yet another plan for world domination (I won't reveal more because I'd like to avoid major spoilers) and Superman must thwart the plot. Just like old times.

So, how did I like it? Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor and Parker Posey as Kitty Kowalski were simply absolutely great. Routh did a great job of stepping in as the Man of Steel, and Frank Langella played Perry White perfectly. I really expected to not like Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, but I came away having not really noticed that it was Kate Bosworth. In addition to the acting, the attempts to make Superman more human worked. He had problems, flaws, disappointments and was even the source of some disappointments.

My complaints about the movie are not numerous. There were a few FX shots that were more cartoon than live-action, but considering some of the things they were trying to make happen, I think that can be forgiven. The largest problem to me is that at 154 minutes, it was longer than it needed to be. It was a good movie, but also one that could have done with some streamlining. In the end, it's the Superman film people have been waiting for since they first started trying to pretend Superman III and IV never happened.

Until later...

1 comment:

Matt said...

Now I really can't wait to see it.