July 24, 2006

I'll Pray I Never Need to Call You

After reading posts recently about Lost Boys and the Lost Boys soundtrack, we bumped Lost Boys up to the top of the netflix queue and got it last week after we finally returned Good Night, and Good Luck (more on that at a later date). I was somewhat worried that after this long the film would have (like many from the 80's) turned into a depressing nostalgia killer.

It didn't. Don't get me wrong: It was horribly dated. The scariest thing in the film was Keifer's crew cut mullet. These issues didn't keep me from enjoying it, though. Since a review of a movie from 1987 I've seen a couple million times would possibly be pointless, I'll just share a few observations I made during the movie.

-They easily could have cast former MTV VJ Adam Curry as one of the vampires and just had him dress like he did for Headbangers Ball. He would have fit right in.

-I wonder if Alex Winter who played the vampire named Marko hates Keanu Reeves for his success. (Winter was later Bill to Keanu's Ted.)

-Jami Gertz looks pretty much the same now as she did in 1987.

-Sam (Corey Haim) has a poster of Molly Ringwald on his bedroom wall. Understandable. He also has a poster that appears to be Rob Lowe wearing a half-shirt. I don't know what's going on with that.

7 comments:

Marni said...

Ahhhh - Headbanger's Ball... now THAT brings back memories.

My favorite scene of LB is when Alex (I think it was him) gets dunked in the tub o' garlic... scary stuff back then!

Anonymous said...

Say hello to the night.

Seriously, I didn't "get" what was so great about that movie when it came out. I remember that everybody thought vampires were so dark and mysterious and cool, but I thought was "So?"

And really, how frightening can vampires be if a couple of Cor(e)ys can take 'em out? Blade wouldn't even work up a sweat!

Matt said...

When I saw Edward Herrmann (head vampire, Max) in Intolerable Cruelty playing Rex Rexroth, I had a hard time not laughing at how ridiculous it was to see Max being chased by Cedric the Entertainer with a video camera. Dude, just bite the guy, lose the camera, and get out of there.

Seriously, I can't see this guy in anything else without thinking of this movie. He did Mercedes commercials (or something like that) a few years ago, and all I could think of was, "Mercedes has vampires promoting their cars now?"

Anonymous said...

I think they should do a remake - with the original cast.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I turned that role down. :)

Itchy said...

I thought I was the only one that noticed the Rob Lowe poster.

Craig said...

Marni, A great scene, if only for the line, "Try the garlic, death breath."

Mikey, That's ok. I don't require everyone to love the movies I loved when I was younger. Well, except Real Genius. Talk smack about that one and you're in trouble.

Invis-o-lizard, Sadly, I think of him as the crazy husband from Overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russel.

Danielle, Unfortunately, Barnard Hughes, the man who played Grandpa, passed away earlier this month, making your dream a little harder to fulfill. Unless he's a vampire.

Adam Curry imposter (I assume), I don't know who you actually are, but that's funny.

Itchy, I'd never noticed it before. Now I wish I hadn't. It makes me wonder about young Sam.