June 13, 2006

Trivial Tuesday

Before I give you this week's question, a brief message: If you participate in Trivial Tuesday and still need more of a trivia fix, check out The Trivia Exchange. It's updated every week with a new quiz and is a lot of fun. She does an excellent job of coming up with really great questions each week. Now go participate...right after you answer this question.

The category for this week: Geographic Superlatives.

As I was watching the World Cup, I was surprised by the sizes of some of the countries involved. For example the country of Trinidad & Tobago has only 1.3 million people. I thought about asking for the countries with the lowest population in the world, but that would be a little too difficult. Instead let's discuss the largest populations. There are only 2 countries with over a billion people and 3 with over 250 million, but how many have over 100 million people? (All numbers as of July 2005)

Bonus points for naming the countries with over 100 million and double bonus points if you can list the ten most populated countries, in order.

Usual rules apply. Answer correctly and win the respect of your peers. (but nothing else)

Update: There are 11 countries with over 100 million people. They are (in descending order): China, India, United States, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan, Russia, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Japan and Mexico.

3 comments:

Matt said...

I was going to guess 10 countries, but I looked it up and I see I was a little off. Surprising that Japan made the list. How on earth (pardon the pun) do they fit that many people in such a small country?

Esther said...

I'm guessing 8. The U.S. should be one, so should Japan, apparently, and India. I can't think of others right now.
Not to be uncaring, but are we ever going to start up questions again on Trivia Nerds?

Many Manifestos said...

Thanks so much for the plug! I really appreciate it!

I'm going to guess five. I stress the word guess since I have no idea.

To go along with what esther said, I really miss trivia nerds. It was the only other reputable trivia blog I could find. I didn't say anything cause I know how you guys must miss you friend and that some things have to go on the back burner.