June 14, 2006

Now Is The Winter of Are Discontent

I'm not a grammar cop. I don't even play one on TV. In fact, I ignore a lot of things because it's just not worth the effort, and I realize that I make all kinds of mistakes as well. However, there are some things I just cannot stand. They drive me absolutely insane. The biggest one has to do with the first person plural possessive pronoun. That's right. "Our"

I realize that many people are going to pronounce this many different ways, but it remains the same word. No matter how you decide to say it, it is our. Over the past several years, I have seen more and more occasions when the word "our" is replaced in writing by the word "are." I won't argue with you if you pronounce it like that. I won't correct you if you don't know the difference between who and whom or good and well. I won't get upset with you for ignoring the words "to be" after the word "need" in a sentence. (The dogs need fed. The floor needs mopped.) I won't even complain if you decide to leave your preposition dangling out in the wind. (I'm looking at you people from Wisconsin who say "Would you like to go with?") But if I have to see one more sentence that says something like "Try Are Carwashes!!!" I'm gonna turn into Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

6 comments:

Esther said...

I wholeheartedly agree. There are mistakes that irk me, but I know they're mistakes. Using the wrong word entirely just pisses me off.

Itchy said...

I've never heard of this! Are = our? Where?

I don't like it when I hear people say idear instead of idea. That bugs me.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am the queen of dangling participles and prepositions. I drive myself nuts with that.

And yet, I am infinitely annoyed when I hear people say the following words:

supposably
'pecific
kinnygarten

Becki said...

It really bugs me when people say "I could care less" when they really mean to say "I couldn't care less".

Of course, when I was in high school, I always had to resist the urge to take a red pen to the notes my friends would pass to me.

thordora said...

I think what annoys me more is when people try to pass this crap off as a dialect. Last time I checked, using the language incorrectly is just plain WRONG.

And freaking annoying.

MC Etcher said...

I'm with you! Wanna start a grammar vigilante team?

Since 'MinuteMen' is taken, how bout 'LetterMen'?