June 16, 2006

And Smiled in Her Special Way

It's funny how you can go for so long without hearing a song and then when you hear it all sorts of memories come rushing back. Recently, I walked into a restaurant and the sound system was playing a song I had not only hadn't heard, but hadn't thought about in many years: "Who's Johnny" by El DeBarge.

Not only has this forced the song to be stuck in my head for the past few weeks, but it has also made me remember the movie that inspired the song. I hadn't thought about Short Circuit in so long that I had forgotten how much I loved it as a kid. I realize now that it wasn't a great movie. In fact it may even have been bad, but that didn't matter to the 10-year old me. Wisecracking robots making pop culture references and ogling Ally Sheedy in the bathtub were cinematic perfection back then.

Unfortunately, this line of thought also reminded me of the sequel they made. I may have still been a kid, but that sequel was bad enough that even back then, I knew that movie sucked.

But let's not dwell on the bad things. Instead let us remember the original with it's quality comedic lines. "Hey laserlips. Your mama was a snowblower."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for getting that song stuck in my head now.

Anonymous said...

Bwah! I love this movie! We recently caught it on one of the cable movie channels and were out of our minds with excitement!

Matt said...

It figures... I knew exactly what movie you were talking about when I read your post title. I think that's another one of those "you had to be a child of the 80's" movies. I liked that movie enough to even enjoy the sequel, even though (and I can't believe I'm about to say this) it didn't have Steve Guttenberg in it. That scene where Ben comes to get Johnny Number Five from jail after he stole those books and tells him it's time to go home and Number Five just snaps the handcuffs in half so the guards realize he could have escaped at any time all because he wanted to read Frankenstein... that moved me, man.