November 11, 2005

It Is November 10th, Right?

Last night I was in the car on my way to go get a haircut, when I noticed something odd. Just a couple of blocks from our house I noticed a house that seemed quite festive. As I got closer, I saw that they house was completely outlined in hanging "icicle" lights, a tree in the front lawn had been fully decorated and they had an enormous inflatable snowglobe next to the house. I have nothing against Christmas decorations, but it might have been a bit much...if it were December. I actually looked at the date display on my watch to confirm that, yes, it was the 10th of November.

How can you have your Christmas decorations up already? If I had decorated for Halloween, I wouldn't even have those decorations taken down yet. I can understand that stores have Christmas products available earlier, but decorating the house at this point just seems excessive.

On a related note, one of the local radio stations has started playing Christmas music. I don't mean a song hear or there. We're talking about from now until the first of the year, there will be nothing but Christmas music on this station. This means two things: 1. You will hear the same songs over and over on that station. Believe me, there is a limit to how many times one can listen to the Chipmunks singing "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth." (And that limit is pretty low.) 2. Even with a high rate of repeats, there is not enough to fill two months with nothing but decent Christmas songs, so they will play some horrible versions of traditional songs and some very obscure non-traditional ones. My personal favorites include the song in which a woman asks Santa to get rid of all the bombs (oddly, Santa wasn't nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize that year) and of course, "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas." (Yes, it's real, and it's spectacular. Listen and learn here.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go decorate my house for Valentines Day.

Until later...

The peer pressure to add yourself to the map will continue until further notice.

3 comments:

Esther said...

I was at a mall on Long Island in October and they already had the Christmas displays in Macys and Bath and Body Works. It was at least a full week before Halloween! The next thing you know we'll be going straight from Labor Day to Christmas.

I happen to be a fan of "Dominick the Christmas Donkey" and the "12 Things About Christmas That Are Such a Pain to Me"

Becki said...

The hippo song is my favorite Christmas song...=) And since I'm now referreing to myself as the hiphopapotamus at all times, I'm going to choose to believe that that song is dedicated to me.

Anonymous said...

It's all a conspiracy... They plan on slowly starting the holiday shopping season earlier, and earlier, until it starts the day after Christmas. ;)

Actually, not to be nitpicky, but I just spent over an hour looking for this song: The "12 Things About Christmas That Are Such a Pain to Me" song that's referred to above is actually called "Twelve Pains Of Christmas" by Bob Rivers.

I love it too... Especially the parts about the lights.