August 02, 2005

Trivial Tuesday

It's Tuesday once again, and time for trivia.

I picked up a copy of the PC game Sid Meier's Pirates! recently, and I absolutely love it. I can remember playing the old-school version of Pirates! on the Nintendo and then Pirates! Gold on the Sega Genesis. It's great fun. With that in mind, we have a nautical theme for you today.

Way back in the day (16th century), Sir Francis Drake was an English navigator and pirate...oh, privateer, sorry. He was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe. When he left his flagship had one name but by the time he made it all the way around the world he had renamed it. What were the two names of his flagship?

Usual rules apply. Happy answering. Sorry, no bonus points are awarded for answering in pirate speak.

Update: Congratulations to the Blissfully Insane Middlechild. The flagship was indeed the Pelican which later became the Golden Hind. On a slightly different note, the Second Dose of Trivia has been suspended. To feed your much needed trivia fix Wednesday through Monday, check out Trivia Nerds.

Until later...

9 comments:

Herge Smith said...

I got as far as the Golden Hind. We'ren't there 4 or 5 ships all sailing out at the same time.

Oh I don't know. And I refuse to use the internet to pretend I know the answer.

Hmm.

Matt said...

I quickly threw in the towel myself. I could look it up, but I'm sticking to the preferred rules of engagement with these trivia games (i.e., no google cheating). I'm just posting here to let CK know: I'm still with you, buddy, but I've only got vague knowledge of historical trivia. I'm pretty sure this boat wasn't the Nina, Pinta or Santa Maria, which is just about where my nautical knowledge ends.

Chief Slacker said...

I need to be on top of these questions, that one I actually knew. It was the Plican and then the Golden Hinde. Some of the other ships in the fleet were the Swan, the Mary and The Queen's Corsair I beelive.

Becki said...

The only thing I know is that the Earl of Sandwich named the sandwich islands. And that has nothing to do with this. So there ya go.

Herge Smith said...

I went to a wedding on Saturday and met somebody from Sandwich, which is in Kent (UK - near Europe)

Craig said...

I work for a company with a plant in Sandwich...since we're posting random Sandwich-related things.

MC Etcher said...

Dammit, I never know the answer to these. I better start studying.

Herge Smith said...

And I sometimes put plants in my sandwich, such as lettace or tomatos.

Ho ho.

Becki said...

Does the messenger bag come in any other colors?