August 17, 2005

Am I High Maintenance?

I've been pondering that question a bit recently. I can't believe that I'm actually high maintenance. Sure, I'm a bit obsessive, but that's a small thing right? Right?

Come on people, just because I'm convinced that I have or will do something wrong and upset someone doesn't mean I'm neurotic. If I ask you ten times if you're sure that I didn't offend you, it's just that I really, really want to be sure. Even if all I did was not seem cheerful enough when I said hi.

If I seem to take things people say too personally, it's just that I am never really sure of their intentions. You can't be sure how someone meant that comment until you ask. Repeatedly. Needing constant reassurance isn't really the same as being high maintenance.

So you see, I'm actually not high maintenance. It isn't as if there is a lot of evidence to suggest this. Honestly, the only thing I can think of is my friend who forced me to make a deal with her: "I promise to tell you if you ever do anything to upset me, as long as you promise to stop worrying about it so much." Then there was the conversation the other day about a fellow coworker: "He's the most high-strung person I've ever met. More high-strung than you, even." Really, this is all circumstantial at best.

Still, it would explain why MK is the only person I know who receives cards expressing condolences on her wedding anniversary.

Until later...

9 comments:

Craig said...

I have plenty of my own medicine, thanks though.

Woo! My first Cafe Press sale. I did that for fun, not really thinking anyone would buy anything. :)

Don't worry, we welcome comments from all varieties of geeks here at The Fount. However, if the spam comments don't stop, I may have to block anonymous comments even though I don't want to.

Herge Smith said...

CK, if more people were worried about upsetting people then this world would be in far better shape.

It's all the lunk heads with the that most vile of attitudes "I don't give a damn what so-and-so thinks"

You know what? If they did give a damn then maybe we'd have grown up a bit and got on the rockets by now...

...erm, not sure what I meant by that.

High Maintenance = Good

M said...

It isn't high maintenance to be cautiously polite. I do it all the time. I even apologize to people when I think I've been rude, but they didn't even notice. It's called being attuned to the needs of others.

Becki said...

Hee...you're high maintenance like a teenage girl. Although I haven't noticed this personally. Maybe because My extraordinary tact and grace prevent you from having to become worried or apologetic.

Jim said...

I thought high-strung means biting fingernails, jingling keys, twisting paperclips, yelling at the microorganisms.

Here is a test to see if you are high-maintenance -- warning, the site has lots of popups:

http://selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=sanaginoyume

MC Etcher said...

Hmn, since people can't be trusted, you have to ask them repeatedly to get an honest answer.

Ask at least three times!

Unless I'm high-strung too, in which case you shouldn't listen to me.

Laziest Girl said...

I think you just get a bit anxious about how other people perceive you. You just don't want them to take you "the wrong way". And that's not a bad thing - as long as you can identify the people that matter.

Nice clock by the way!

Craig said...

Wow, there are a lot of comments to deal with here.

Herge, I agree. Unfortunately, the problem is when it goes from worrying about upsetting people to upsetting people by worrying.

MHN, See response to Herge.

Aurora, after that comment, I'm no longer talking to you.

Jim, no yelling from me, but otherwise that's a pretty good list. Yes that site really did have a lot of pop-ups, and let's just say my answers to the questions just made me worry more.

MC E, You're absolutely right, you can't trust them. However, I've read your blog, and it appears we have enough traits in common that I think I'll pay attention to the warning about not listening to you.

Laziest, I figured, as long as I'm working with the clock, why not put one on here? I wanted a different color so that it wouldn't be the same (I get upset if I order the same food as anyone else at a restaurant. I don't want to be labeled a copycat.), but it fit with the color scheme better than any other.

Ok, is that everyone? Good.

Dan said...

Finally! Someone who seems to feel the exact same way that I do!

You should have seen the mess I got into when I first started blogging. The more I tried to apologize and explain, the worse it got!

Live and learn...