March 20, 2006

That's All I Have To Say About That

A while back I posted about an online IQ test that a lot of people were taking and that after it gives you your score, it encourages you to spend $20 to get a more detailed report of your intelligence. I wondered at the time if it actually gave a score or if everyone received the same IQ score unless they forked over the twenty bucks.

I finally decided that maybe I should go back and take the test again, intentionally answering questions wrong to see if I could get a different score. I went through all 40 questions doing my best to get them wrong and found out that it does change my score. It told me that I had a very different IQ this time. According to these results, I should be playing a lot of ping pong and have a friend named Bubba. So, it is good to know that it doesn't automatically assign the same score to everyone. It made me feel a little better about the company running the site. Until this week, that is.

After my gumpesque score, I got an email that read: CK, As a top-scorer on our IQ test, the in-depth analysis of your IQ score is FREE. Click for your FREE IQ report.

Naturally, I did click to see just what I would need to do to obtain this report. I had to click through 4 pages of "special offers" that I could accept as part of the package before I could reach the page that had the actual report. If you incorrectly click the wrong box, you could be signing up for a Columbia House membership, a credit card, loan consolidation, the fruit of the month club and the communist party all at once. Maybe I'm just being a cynic (again), but it seems strange that when I get a score lower than the one that was supposed to keep little Forrest out of public school, I suddenly get a free report that also gives me a chance to sign up for a million other offers. I never saw anything like that when I got a normal score. It just makes me wonder.

Until later...

2 comments:

Rainypete said...

That is actually the detailed tes that they are referring to. If you pay them the $20.00 they simply email you and tell you that you're a moron.

Agent 31 said...

IQ tests always confound me.

I always figured that the higher your IQ, the less likely you'd be to take the test because you'd be aware of the inherent flaws in the measures of intelligence. Or, the less you'd need a number to validate yourself.

Maybe I'm wrong. I just figured intelligence and enlightenment go hand in hand. (And, yes, I've taken any number of these things myself.)