March 01, 2006

In the Middle of Our Street

I can't stop watching House. Really, I can't. When the show first came out, I fought against watching it because I was sure it would just another completely predictable medical show with really bad science. I wasn't too far off the mark. Now, however, it's not as if I don't know exactly what's going to happen on every episode, but I'm drawn in anyway.

Think about it, every episode follows the exact same path. Here, since American Idol preempted House last night, I'll show you what would have happened.

9:00-Person who will become the case of the week is perform his/her everyday routine. Suddenly and unexpectedly to everyone but us, the person suffers a dramatic medical incident requiring him/her to be rushed to the hospital.
9:03-Opening credits.
9:10-House butts heads with Cuddy.
9:15-House declares that the patient obviously has (insert common problem) and explains how to treat it.
9:20-Patient reacts poorly to treatment and it is discovered that the patient (or in the case of child, the guardian of the patient) was keeping a secret that would have changed the diagnosis.
9:25-Further testing reveals a second potential problem. House sends the team scrambling to go test for the problem.
9:30-House butts heads with Cuddy.
9:35-Testing has not revealed the source of the problem. House looks sad and defeated.
9:40-House butts heads with Cuddy.
9:45-Wilson says something insightful to House.
9:50-House realizes the underlying problem that was preventing them from seeing the actual diagnosis.
9:55-House and team make proper diagnosis.
9:57-House and team treat patient.
9:58-Patient is better.
9:59-Coming up: Scenes from the next all-new House.

It follows this pattern every week. Sure the timing may change by a few minutes and Wilson may say something insightful twice rather than once, but the basic show is exactly the same. So, the question remains: Why am I watching it every time it's on? If you will forgive me for paraphrasing Mars Blackmon, "Money, It's gotta be the snark." Hugh Laurie is absolutely brilliant in this role and delivers the sharply written dialogue of the irascible Dr. Greg House perfectly. He's abrasive, he's annoying, he's occasionally unethical, he's a complete emotional mess, he's hilarious and he's one of the best written characters on television.

I have to give credit to the writers of the show, because, even though they use the same basic storyline each episode, they manage to give all of the characters, not just House, excellent dialogue that keeps me coming back each and every time it's on. Unfortunately, Simon, Paula and Randy have been making sure that isn't too often recently. Now that I think of it, House would make a great Idol judge.

Until later...

6 comments:

Anita said...

That's probably a brilliant synopsis of the show! Yesterday, I planned to watch this show for the first time ever because my girlfriend is going to have a part in an episode they are shooting next week. How cool is that? I told her it was a popular show (she hasn't even seen it!). Thanks for confirming the lovability of it.

MC Etcher said...

It's all about the snark! They should just change the name of the show.

Anonymous said...

You know, I liked this show when it first aired... but quickly grew tired of it. What do I know though, I liked Threshold too.

Matt said...

True, I completely agree, they mostly follow that formula, but the episode last season where House was giving the lecture and describing three different cases, one of which was his own history, I thought, was brilliant.

And not "brilliant" in that British way which means "really neat" but absolutely the best writing I've seen on TV in a very long time. I watch to see if they do that again, for which the formulaic hum-drum will all be worth it.

Mike said...

I am totally biased because this is my favorite show on TV right now. Not only can they get away with the same plot structure every week, but then when they actually do something different (like the 3 stories episode) it just makes it that much better.

Vicarious Living said...

House: A great formula, like original Coke, and just as addictive.