March 10, 2006

Oh, Wait, Wait. Was She a Great Big Fat Person?

Do you know who Ted Levine is? If you don't know him by name, you'd probably recognize him if you saw him. He's been in all sorts of movies and on TV. Right now, you can see him as Captain Stottlemeyer on Monk. He's been in Memoirs of a Geisha, The Manchurian Candidate, Heat and many other films. He's also in the upcoming remake of The Hills Have Eyes.

I first saw him in an entirely different role, however. It wasn't his first movie, but the first time I remember seeing him was as Jame Gumb (Buffalo Bill) in Silence of the Lambs. The problem is that everytime I see him now, I think of that character. It doesn't matter if he is playing a police captain like he does on Monk, I fully expect him to kidnap and kill a bunch of people.

I'm not saying that if you play Jame Gumb, you can never act again, but is it too much to ask for him to occasionally tell people to put the lotion in the basket?

Until later...

6 comments:

Agent 31 said...

I feel the same way about Wesley Snipes. Every time I see him, he's the motherfucker who killed Ice-T's mom in New Jack City. And that's ALL he'll ever be to me. I hate Wesley Snipes.

MC Etcher said...

I made the connection, but only on a subconscious level. It's a tribute to his acting ability that his character on Monk isn't creepy to me at all.

Becki said...

I probably could have avoided making that connection until this website http://www.pamie.com/butterfly/
now I see the tuck dance in my sleep.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least I'm not the only one that makes the connection. And, it's not the acting; it's the voice. His voice is almost as bad as Tom Waits.

Matt said...

That deep, gutteral voice gets me every time. If he were to sneak up behind me and call me "precious" I think I'd jump out of my skin (pardon the allusive pun).

As for Wesley Snipes, I can't see him now without thinking of Willy Mays Hayes. Sure, he may be a bad-ass in Blade, but he'll always be that gawky pinch hitter in Major League to me.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Yes, Ted Levine makes me thing "She puts the lotion in the basket."

That's why I have an absolute crush on Ted. Anyone who can tuck that effectively is welcome in my bed.