March 29, 2006

My Day Has Finally Come, Trebek

As you may or may not know, Jeopardy is currently holding online auditions. Basically, this means that you get to take the test online to ensure that you feel like you are a complete idiot and therefore don't bother wasting their time by taking the test again somewhere else.

Of course, being one who always enjoys feeling like an idiot, I took the online test last night. How did I do? Well, I feel like I did pretty well. I also feel like I didn't do anywhere near well enough to move forward with the process, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see if I ever hear anything (they don't contact you unless they want you to go to an interview or take the test again in person). There were plenty of questions I knew, but there were also many where I could only make what I felt were reasonable guesses as well as a couple where I had absolutely no clue whatsoever. I realized that I wouldn't do so well if there were a category about opera. Considering that the test was 50 questions, and I know for a fact that I missed four of them (two where I had no idea and two I guessed and could remember enough to look up later and find that I was wrong) and that there were others where my answer was at least partly a guess, I will just assume I'm not hearing from Alex and the Clue Crew anytime soon.

But on the off chance I could ever get on the show, I'll have to practice my impression of Darell Hammond doing an impersonation of Sean Connery. "I'll take The Rapists for $1000, Trebek."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do remember any of the Q&As? They went so fast. And I forgot to look at the category in the top right until halfway through. Could have helped...

Islands: Cyprus
Ballet: Swan Lake
Opera: Puccini (I said Verdi, doh.)
Physics: Inertia
Bio: Neurons (?)
Presidents (father and son): ??
Britain: Cromwell
Islam: Medina (I said Accra)

I'd like to have a full list so that I can self-flagellate.

Anita said...

I totally forgot to do that last night until I was on my way home and it was time to log in! So, I'm going to try tonight. Now that I know 500 billion people are probably trying out, I am sure there is no way they'll call me back.

Wish me luck. Hopefully, There won't be any Puccini questions tonight. I suck at Opera, too.

Anita said...

Presidents father and son?: Wouldn't that be John Adams and John Quincy Adams or George HW Bush and George W Bush?

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot about that! I wanna try out...

Not that I'd do well, but hey, you never know. All it takes is one "dream board," and you look like a star.

I just have to remember, if the dream board happens, don't Claven out and lose it all on Final Jeopardy.

Agent 31 said...

URL?

Craig said...

Anonymous, I wish I could remember them all, but I can only remember a couple of others. I also said Verdi instead of Puccini. The father and son: see Ms. Q's comment. Also there was the question about the Ivy league school in Rhode Island (I narrowed it down to two and guessed Dartmouth...it's Brown), as well as a question regarding anti-semitism and the French army in 1899. I can only assume this was about the Dreyfus affair, but I certainly missed it. There was also a question regarding "action art" I believe referring to Jackson Pollock.

Ms. Q, I do hope for your sake there won't be any opera questions, but then again maybe you'll get lucky and they will be the same questions we've been talking about on here.

Ms. Q (pt. 2), Yes, the Bushes or the Adams. If only I could remember how the question was phrased and if there was something indicating one over the other. Even if I didn't do well, I'd really like to know how many I missed.


Mikey, unfortunately, my dream board did not come up on this test, there were plenty of science questions but enough others in things like history and the arts that I doubt it will matter.

Maine, I'm going out on a limb and saying the url you are looking for is jeopardy.com

Anonymous said...

CK -- I went to Dartmouth and grew up near Brown, so I got lucky with that one!

My biggest fear with being on the show would be getting my dream board (for me: Geology, 1920s blues guitar, Food, Modern Drama, I am a Dork, etc.) and then absolutely eating it, face first.

I went with Harrison (WH and Ben) on the Presidents, but I can't remember how the Q was phrased either.

Dreyfuss and Pollock were mine too.

I woke up this morning and thought of another one that I blew. Sec of State was Kissinger, right? I said Fitzwater (!)