March 07, 2006

I'm Curious, Is It Strictly Apathy, or Do You Really Not Have a Goal in Life

I'm tired, I'm lazy and I have nothing interesting to talk about that can be turned into an entire post, so I'll just give you a paragraph or so on a few random topics.

The puppy hasn't been sleeping all the way through the night recently, so I've been watching a few games of the World Baseball Classic on ESPN. The games for Pool A are being played in Tokyo and start at about 3:00 AM here. Pool A consists of China, Japan, Korea and Chinese Taipei (apparently, Taiwan cannot have its own country, but as a consolation prize, China will let them have their own baseball team). So, other than people like me who are wondering why the stupid dog won't go back to sleep, who exactly is the target audience for these games? Are there people who are getting up in the middle of the night just to watch the game on ESPN, or is it just a better alternative than being one of the 45 channels running an infomercial for the Sweep'N'Mop?

I fell on the ice the other day and crashed down fairly hard on the sidewalk. Nothing serious, but I ended up with scrapes on one knee, one hand, one elbow and all the way across my back. I also have a gigantic, hideous looking and not-so-great feeling bruise on my knee. This shouldn't really be a problem, except that if I am not busy doing something else, I poke the bruise. "Ow, it still hurts." Poke. "Yep, painful." Poke. "Man, that's unpleasant. I should really stop doing it." Soon, I'll start repeatedly touching the eye of the stove and change my name to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. (Forgive the obscure early 90's basketball reference.)

Since we're on the subject of basketball. Could somebody please talk to Gonzaga's Adam Morrison about that mustache he's currently sporting (see here)? I don't know if I can handle watching the NCAA's if he's not getting rid of that thing; it's really distracting.

There's a guy I see every once in a while at work. I don't know who he is. He's a really big guy. Bigger than me. Taller than me, but heavier too. I'm overweight. No, I'm fat. This dude is enormous. Anyway, he has a really strange haircut. The sides and back are almost completely shaven. It looks like he uses clippers with no guard to cut them. On top, his hair is short, but not so short that you need to use clippers to cut it. The problem is that rather than having any sort of blending between these two layers, the hair on top sticks out from his head a little forming a ring all the way around. It has the effect of making him look like the world's largest toadstool. Seriously, are there not enough issues just being a fat guy? You have to be a fat guy with a mushroom for a head? One day, some Italian plumber is going to try to steal this guy's head because he thinks it will help him fight the koopas. (Forgive the not obscure 80's video game reference.)

It snowed a little yesterday. I understand that you have to be careful when driving in bad weather, and that we hadn't had any snow for a while, but some people take it to extremes. If I have to resort to driving behind a garbage truck because the car in the other lane is going that slow, it might be a sign to that person to go just a little faster.

I went to the grocery store the other day and looked over my purchases as I walked out to the car to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. I looked down the list of items on the receipt: Black bean burgers, goat cheese, all natural peanut butter, whole wheat flatbread, organic mixed baby spring greens. As I got into the car and turned NPR on for the ride home, I thought to myself, "When did I turn into that guy?"

After I wrote my "100 Things about Me" post, MK wrote hers, but she made a list of 101 things and did it in an hour. Show off.

Alright I'm out of things to talk about. I've gotta get some inspiration before I can post anything else.

Until later...

11 comments:

Agent 31 said...

Excellent Chris Jackson reference.

(Yes, I'm still calling him Chris Jackson.)

By the way, if he had tried to pull those antics (not standing for the anthem, changing his name to Rauf, etc.) today, how quickly would he be arrested? And how much longer would it take the Denver Nuggets to ever board the team airplane?

Anonymous said...

ok - so you don't know me - and I don't know you - but we have a friend who listed your blog as one he reads so now I read yours too from time to time. Today's post the funniest thing I've read in a really long time. Seriously I was laughing so hard I had to leave my office because my assistant thought I'd lost my mind!

Craig said...

You may not know me, and I may not know you, but thanks to Statcounter, I do at least know where you are reading from and which friend you meant. (I was feeling a little Big Brother-ish)

With all that knowledge, I have to ask: Was it the Adam Morrison thing? With the WCC rivalry and all, maybe that was too much for you.

MC Etcher said...

I understand completely. Except for all the sports stuff, that was all over my head.

Anonymous said...

it was the toadstool head thing and the mario reference - it takes so little to amuse me - also the "when did I become that guy comment"...(I think that alot myself as I look at the pills on my nightstand and listen to the words coming out of my mouth)

Anonymous said...

Great Article! Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author! I like articles like this, very interesting.

Anonymous said...

nice blog!

Anonymous said...

nice blog!Nice information

Anonymous said...

:-) ochen\' zaebatyj blog!

Anonymous said...

soglasen s vami ochen\' zaebatyj blog!