September 05, 2005

What Day Is It?

I was at the grocery store last week, and one of the new seasonal displays caught my eye. Wait...before I continue: Yes, I am aware that almost every story I've told recently has centered on going to the grocery store or Wal-Mart. I'm sorry. It's not intentional, it's just that at the moment my life consists of get up, go to work, go home, go to bed. The only changes are on the days when I have to stop to pick up something from the grocery store or the rare occasions when I manage to watch a DVD. I'm becoming more boring, but it's not my fault. Really, it's not. May I continue? Thank you.

I was at the grocery store last week, and one of the new seasonal displays caught my eye. It wasn't that the display was particularly eye-catching in and of itself. It's more that it's really hard for me to miss a display of candy. I might walk right past flashing lights and ringing bells advertising something useful, but I always have to stop to see what sort of candy is available. There were bags and bags of candy on sale, but this was no ordinary candy. It was Halloween candy.

That's right Halloween. I looked at the candy, looked down at the date on my watch to confirm. August 31st. Two months before Halloween and the candy is already out in the stores. Why? Shouldn't there be some sort of law passed that says that you cannot have Halloween items out for more than a month and then that Thanksgiving things are available after Halloween, Christmas after Thanksgiving, etc.? If we can regulate that whether or not prunes (which are dried plums) can be labeled and sold as dried plums, we can regulate how early seasonal items are on display.

While it may seem that this rant was actually the point of this post, it's not. My real point is simply this: Who can buy candy on August 31st and still have it to give out to Trick or Treaters on October 31st? We've had to stop buying Halloween candy until the 30th of October. Otherwise, there's nothing left to hand to the kids. I have a feeling that the only people who can buy their candy this early are the ones that give out the candy no one likes anyway...no willpower required.

On a slightly different, yet Halloween candy related note: we might actually have more than 5 Trick or Treating kids this year because...we're moving. More on that another time.

Until later...

2 comments:

Becki said...

Now I don't even really like candy and I might have trouble not eating candy that's sitting around my house for 2 months.

thordora said...

Everyone always says the stuff is out earlier every year, but it's not. My Dad ran a retail store for years, and I remember, as soon as back to school was over, halloween went up.

It hasn't changed. There's more of the crap though....