September 06, 2005

Trivial Tuesday

Since the first season of Lost was released on DVD today, I'll ask a Lost related question. This will probably be quite easy for people who watch the show, but can still be answered by those who have never watched. The creepy bad guy from season 1, Ethan Rom, was played by William Mapother, the cousin of creepy famous guy, Tom Cruise. There was something special about Ethan Rom's name. What was it?

As a hint for those who have not seen the show, think along the lines of Hester Mofet.

Update: Congrats to Gail, who knew than Ethan Rom was an anagram for "other man", which can be taken in with a capital "O" meaning that Ethan was one of "the Others" or with a lowercase "o", simply signifying that Ethan was the person in the group that was not on the plane that crashed, thus he was the other man. (For those who missed the other reference Hester Mofet is "The Rest of Me", one of the clever anagrams given to Clarice Starling by Dr. Lector.)

Bragging rights are yours Gail. Do with them what you will.

Until later...

6 comments:

Matt said...

I feel kind of bad answering these all the time. I'll give another one of your avid readers a chance before I reveal that Ethan Rom is actually a... (but I won't say, yet).

Craig said...

Umm...as avid readers go, I think you're it. And even then, avid might be pushing it.

Gail (but you can call me G) said...

I watched every episode of Lost. An awesome show. So, is it "Other man?" In other words, he's a man who's one of the Others?

Laziest Girl said...

So it's an anagram? Not at all related to the book Ethan Frome??

Are you sure there isn't an evil wife, a saucy servant girl and tree located at the bottom of a steep curve? Oh, that's the next season of Lost.

Craig said...

No, sorry. Nothing to do with Ethan Frome.

We do have characters named after Enlightment philosophers though.

Gail (but you can call me G) said...

Hey thanks! I love to brag - my husband calls me Monica all the time . . . I got the Hester Mofet reference, that's how I figured it out. Love that book, love the movie. I found your blog a while back through a link about a Free Katie t-shirt on a local radio station site. Loved the blog name and you seem to have a similar sense of humor and enjoy film, literary and TV trivia and observations about the absurdity of life. I pretty much read you on a regular basis now - hope ya don't mind.