September 09, 2005

Running on Empty

I've been having a lot of trouble coming up with ideas recently. Sure I can post occasional movie or book reviews, but I've hardly said anything interesting. I've even resorted to posting online quizzes to keep filling space. I don't know what the problem is. I do know that I have a half-written draft post saved that is titled "Perhaps It's Time to Retire".

Since I do not want to retire from my illustrious blogging career just yet, I've got to come up with something to talk about. So, we're going to have a new contest. For the next couple of weeks I'll be accepting entries for a story contest. You may submit stories that are completely fiction or stories that really happened to you. At the end of the contest I will post all stories and allow voting for a 1 week period. There will be one fiction and one non-fiction winner. Here are the official rules.

1. You do not need to be a regular reader. Anyone not related to me is free to enter.

2. You can submit one entry to each category, for a total of two. Submit non-fiction stories here. Submit fiction stories here.

3. Entries must be post-marked (emailed) by 11:59 PM September 25th.

3. Stories must not have been previously published on your blog (or anywhere else).

4. I will not edit the stories for you, correct spelling or grammar. I'm lazy, and have enough issues editing my own work.

5. Winners will be decided by comments posted by readers.

6. In case of a tie, I will cast the deciding vote.

7. You don't really win anything.

Hopefully this will be fun and interesting for everyone. Please enter the contest. If no one enters, I'll just look like a fool. More than usual, that is.

Until later...

7 comments:

Becki said...

I want to enter and not make you look like a fool, but I haven't written anything in a very long time. I'll try to think of something.

pagan_mystic said...

Do you have a word count limit? You probably don't want to end up posting a novella (I'm a novelist rather than a short story writer so I think of these things). )O(

M said...

This should be interesting...

Anonymous said...

"For the next couple of weeks I'll be accepting entries for a story contest." When I first read this and hadn't yet read the next sentence I was thinking you were going to propose a contest where we send you IDEAS for a story, and then YOU write the story. For instance, we'd each give you a list of five items or events, and then you'd incorporate all into a story. Can you make that the next contest? Because, really, I'm too lazy to actually write a story of my own.

Craig said...

Aurora: Please do think of something to submit, though I hate for you to write something since you don't even bother posting on you own site anymore.

PM: I thought about including a rule for length, but couldn't figure out what would be appropriate, so I gave up. I guess there won't be a limit.

MHN: I hope so. It will either be interesting or a complete and utter disaster. A day after posting, I'm leaning toward disaster.

Jessi: The problem is that I am far too lazy to write stories based on everyone else's ideas. It's much easier to cut and paste.

M said...

You never know. It's not Tuesday yet. Let the trivia Tuesday happen & maybe you'll get more takers. I think I might give it a go.

MC Etcher said...

Great idea!

I can always use an excuse to write!