September 12, 2005

Because It Came on After The Simpsons

Last night was Season Premiere night on Fox. Immediately after The Simpsons (a Season Premiere before the Treehouse of Horror episode? It's like Christmas in September), Fox premiered a new show called The War at Home.

The basic premise of TWAH is that the dad, played by that guy that played the cop that date Phoebe on Friends until she dumped him for shooting a bird that was singing outside his bedroom window, has to deal with raising three kids and having a working wife. The show uses the interspersed direct-to-viewer commentary much like the cancelled Fox sitcom, Titus. Sadly, this just served to remind me of how much funnier Titus was than this show.

The show hardly breaks new ground in style, concept or subject matter. It does, however manage to be remarkably offensive. Not in the pushing boundaries and causing you to think way of being offensive, but truly offensive in the racist, homophobic, crass and just plain dull way. Unintelligent and not even remotely humorous, The War at Home will hopefully meet the fate of most new Fox shows and be cancelled before we have to endure a full season.

I think it might actually be the worst sitcom I have ever seen, and considering some of the shows on TV, that's saying a lot.

Until later...

4 comments:

Gail (but you can call me G) said...

Just curious, are you a fan of Arrested Development? You seem like the type that would appreciate the quirky, odd humor of this hilarious show.

Craig said...

Gail, it's interesting that you would ask that. I've heard good things about the show and had other people suggest that I check it out. for some reason, anytime I have tried to watch, I just can't seem to get into it.

M said...

That is saying alot. There a mess load of trash out there and that doesn't even get into the cable channels.

Gail (but you can call me G) said...

Well, I watched a random show or two and didn't get it either, and then I rented the whole first season from Blockbuster and watched them one after another and got hooked. It's very quirky, and if you come in the middle it's hard to know what's going on or why people are doing the weird things they do. I have decided Jason Bateman is way funnier than I ever could have imagined, though he is actually sort of the straight man in this show. If you have the time, I think there are only three volumes and each show is a half hour.