June 06, 2005

Maria Full of Grace

We watched Maria Full of Grace this weekend. It was quite good and painted a not-so-wonderful picture of being a drug mule. I felt that the balance between how horrors of the job and the reasoning behind someone becoming a mule was very well done. While I could never imagine taking such a risk myself, I could never imagine having to deal with some of the situations they dealt with either. This helped make the film much more believable.

The thing I found the most odd about the movie is that the actress playing Maria (Catalina Sandino Moreno) looked remarkably like my friend, Fashion Maven. I don't mean she looked exactly like her; there were some features that were very different and there was the thing about how one of them is Colombian and the other...decidedly not. Regardless, it was strange to see someone who looked that much like someone you know on screen swallowing pellets of heroin to smuggle across borders.

Until later...

No comments: