December 31, 2005

Merry New Year!

Heh. It must be Eddie Murphy Inspired Title Week around here.

As the year draws to a close an I approach the blog's first birthday, I figured why not sit back and pick the best of various things in the past year.

The nominees and eventual winners in each of these categories are not limited by whether the film, book, etc. was released in 2005, but whether the first time I saw the movie, read the book, etc. was in 2005. Make sense? Really? Well, that's rare.

Best Movie I Watched For The First Time In 2005 (Non-Theater Category):

Finding Neverland

Best Movie (Theater Category):
Sideways

Best Movie (Documentary):

March of the Penguins

Best Book (Fiction):

Two months ago this was not even a race. Life of Pi would have won hands down. Then The Kite Runner was chosen as our book club selection. It was still close, but as much as I loved Pi, The Kite Runner was even better.

Best Book (Non-Fiction):

I'm having a hard time deciding. I enjoyed so many books and there were three that really stuck out: Devil in the Details, Blink and The Tipping Point. The Tipping Point just edges out the other two.

Least Favorite Book:

This one was tough for me. There were books I didn't really like, but only a few I really disliked. In the end, I think I'll go with The Da Vinci Code, simply because it had such hype around it and still really stunk.

Favorite Made For TV Movie:

Locusts, obviously.

Favorite Post I Wrote in 2005:

Leaving on a Jet Plane, The Celery Stalks at Midnight or Das Bat. These may not have been the most interesting or thought provoking posts I wrote, but they were the ones where I felt I accomplished my original intent the best, as well as the type of post I like best, story telling.

Least Favorite Post I Wrote in 2005:

Yeah, as if I could only chose one or even a handful. We're just lucky I could pick anything to go in the favorite category rather than in here.

Until next year...

1 comment:

M said...

You forgot to mention your writting contest. That would rank as a a best of for me. :-) Happy New Year!