December 06, 2005

Trivial Tuesday

I'm not sure how many Trivial Tuesday questions will be up before Christmas. I already know I'll be gone next Tuesday, but don't know if I'll post anything, and the week before Christmas tends to be slightly insane. Since I am not sure about other chances to do it, I'll make today's category Christmas.

You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen as well as all the other guys, but do you recall the most famous marketing ploy of all? The names of Santa's reindeer all come from the Christmas poem of questionable authorship, "A Visit from Saint Nicholas" with the exception of that red-nosed fellow named Rudolph. He was in fact created, along with his backstory, as part of a hoilday book giveaway for a large department store. What store created and distributed Rudolph, expanding on the already well established legend of Santa Claus?

As always, post your answer in the comments section to win nothing.

Update: Congratulations to this week's winner, Invisible Lizard. The department store responsible for the creation of Rudolph was Montgomery Ward.

4 comments:

Esther said...

I'm going to guess Macy's.

Matt said...

I believe it was Montgomery Ward.

Craig said...

It was Montgomery Ward. The now defunct chain of stores is responsible for giving us the most famous reindeer of all.

Anonymous said...

My father used to work for Montgomery Ward, interesting. Hey! I always get happy when I see someone from Michigan, I'm moving back there again soon.