April 21, 2005

Television Thoughts

While it may have appeared that way recently, I have not decided to follow the example of Mike Tyson and fade into "Bolivian". Things have been more than slightly hectic. I hate it when real life interferes with my blogging. Tonight I just have a few thoughts on things I've noticed on television recently.

1. Kentucky Fried Chicken has several new commercials in which there is music playing in the background. This isn't really anything new or noteworthy as commercials go; what bothers me about this is their choice of music. Kentucky Fried Chicken has decided that the most appropriate song for their ads is "Sweet Home Alabama". What was the meeting like where this was suggested?

"We need a song to play during this commercial, something that represents our Southern roots. We are a Kentucky company, after all."
"Hmm...My Old Kentucky Home?"
"Well, that's not really the style we're going for. Maybe Sweet Home Alabama. That song rocks."
"But we're from Kentucky, not Alabama."
"Nobody will notice. Besides, rednecks are rednecks."


2. I watched CSI: NY for the first time last night. The show was bad enough on its own, but about five minutes into the episode, one of the cases began to seem familiar. Maybe I recognized it because I have a weird fascination with urban legends, but by the time we reached the second or third commercial break I was shouting, "You've got to be kidding me! That can't be what they're doing." Not only did they mine urban legends for ideas for a show, but they dug up one of the more idiotic ones.

3. I watched CSI (the original, Las Vegas version) tonight. (Before you ask: No, I don't know why.) Tonight's episode took place in LA, where we were introduced to several members of the LAPD and its crime lab. This made me wonder whether CBS is preparing for yet another CSI spin off. I haven't heard anything about it, but it really wouldn't be much of a surprise. Why come up with something new, when you can just rehash something popular?

Coming in the next few days will be a couple of book reviews and hopefully a return to more frequent blogging. Then again, I make%

No comments: