October 31, 2006

Trivial Tuesday

It's Halloween, and time for a few holiday traditions. Trick-or-treating as we know from The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror VIII, originated during 17th century witch trials when the witch sisters, Marge, Patty and Selma went door to door eating children until Maude Flanders offered them gingerbread children as an alternative. From then on, every house they went to offered them treats in exchange for not eating their kids.

Bobbing for apples, on the other hand is a tradition that dates back far before the first trick-or-treaters cut holes in bedsheets to pretend to be ghosts. With the early bobbing for apples, something was to happen to the first person who managed to retrieve an apple. What was this fiendish, frightening thing happened to the person who won the game that has become a Halloween tradition?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

there was a PRIZE? I have no idea what it was but I don't think I ever got a prize when I was a kid... just a wet head.

Becki said...

I beleive that they were supposed to be the next person to get married.

Becki said...

I believe, actually.