October 24, 2006

Apropos of Nothing

I had an all-day training session yesterday. We have to do this thing once a year, and I'm pretty sure it actually gets worse every year. This year, we changed venues to a smaller auditorium. However, we could still fit the same number of people in, because the seats were half the size. Even the people who weren't as fat as me had a hard time wedging themselves into these seats.

We got to sit in these too-small seats while enjoying a movie that we had apparently put together ourselves (we, meaning people who worked at our site). I can honestly say that it was the worst movie I've ever seen...and I've seen Spice World and The Master of Disguise.

On other work-related subjects, we often have people telling us what to do if there is any sort of chemical spill at work and explaining what constitutes a "reportable" spill. They give us guidelines like X amount of liquid or Y amount of any solid. I pride myself on not laughing (out loud at least) when they say that any release of gas into the environment, outside or in a building, must be reported. I bet they hate it when people go to Taco Bell for lunch. The phone must be ringing off the hook.

It snowed again last night. I know I'm picky, but I like for things to be a certain way and to be done at certain times. I have a specific set of rules when it comes to the Fall/Winter holiday season. You can't decorate for Thanksgiving until after Halloween (unless your Canadian, but that's because the celebrate things backwards), you can't play Christmas music any earlier than the week of Thanksgiving, and you can't have snow until at least November.

Save the cheerleader. Save the world.

I first heard about Pandora from Invisible Lizard, but I didn't look at it right away. Once I started listening, I realized that I love this thing. Unlike many streaming music services that will recommend or play music based on comparing what you like with what other people like, it actually compares the features of the music you like to features of other songs. What does this mean? Instead of hearing what other people might recommend, you hear things that have a sound similar to what you like. I realize that this makes the music player smarter than me, but I'm ok with that...as long as it doesn't try to take my job.

If everything goes the way it's supposed to, we'll have a new car on Friday.

Finally: Via Melissa's blog, and through the magic of YouTube, I present evidence that Chewie has gotten huge, but that he just refuses to learn from experience.

1 comment:

Becki said...

This post made me laugh several times. I especially liked that you thought your company movie was worse than Spice World.

Do you know what kind of car you'll be getting?