October 14, 2005

The Gift And The Curse

When we moved recently, we switched cable companies. One of the benefits of signing up with this company as a new customer was that we can now get movies and certain shows On Demand. This means that whenever we want to see them, we can start watching, pause, fast forward, rewind or stop and finish later. This is a great innovation, but it is not without its drawbacks.

Having TV shows available On Demand gives you the ability to catch up on shows that you might not have watched otherwise. You didn't really need one more show to be committed to, but since it's so convenient, it's impossible to resist. You watch one, then another, then another until you are hooked. Eventually, you end up sitting, unshaven and unshowered, in front of the cable box begging for another hit.

"Come on man, just one more episode to get me through the week. I can't wait until Wednesday at 9:00. I finished up the last batch you gave me too fast. Just one more. A promo, just a promo. Come on, help me out."


Until later...

4 comments:

M said...

That's how i felt about the Harry Potter series. I didn't start reading them until 5 years ago. By then the first four had been writen and I blazed through all four in 2 weeks. Then i had to wait for number 5. Needless to say, I read the first four about 3 times each before the fifth came out and then did the same with that book and am on the 2nd read for #6.

MC Etcher said...

Hmn, we have On Demand now, but all the good stuff wants you to pay for it.

I was considering getting a DVR, but I think we'd fall into your predicament, so I might reconsider.

SquirrleyMojo said...

i'd love to get stoned on In Demand

MC Etcher said...

I think our household would be the better for it if we got rid of the tv altogether.

Never gonna happen, of course.