October 18, 2005

All About The Benjamins

The Powerball jackpot is up to an estimated $340 million. I'm feeling the urge to drive down to Indiana and play 4 8 15 16 23 42, so that I can share the jackpot with about 50,000 other geeks.

Now that I think about it, 340 million divided by 50 thousand is still 6800 bucks I don't have now. Of course, if I take the cash up front it drops to 3400 (which I would, becaus who wants $6800 paid out over 40 years). Factor in the amount of taxes I'd have to pay, the lawyer I'd have to hire and the annoyance of all the reporters and it's no longer even enough to cover the gas to get me to Indiana. Forget it, I'll let somebody else win. Besides, the numbers are bad.


Until later...

3 comments:

Matt said...

You think only 50,000 are playing those numbers? I'd bet that if you won, you'd barely have enough to cover the McDonald's you'd stop for on your way into Indiana, though you'd probably stop just before 10am for breakfast, and they would be in the wrong time zone because they're on some other schedule from the rest of the US, and it would be, in fact, 11am, and they stopped serving breakfast a half-hour ago, so you'd have to get a Big Mac instead of the Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit like you really wanted and could have had if they'd just played by the same damn time zone /slash/ day-light savings rules as everybody else...

But I digress.

MC Etcher said...

It will be cool when Google offers a worldwide lottery, and you can buy tickets online.

Kerri said...

AHH! The numbers! The numbers! I think, if I won with them, I would not take the money. I'd like... donate it to the cancer society or something. -=shudders=- that would be too freaky.