March 17, 2005

A Question of Color

After much deliberation and wrestling with the fact that I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I don't really need, I decided to get an iPod. Actually, an iPod mini. Unfortunately I had a hard time finding one. I'm not that picky. I wanted a silver mini, but I would still be happy with one that was blue or green. We went to three stores that carried iPods tonight, and at all three of the stores, the only color available was pink. At one of the stores, an employee told us that they get all four colors in, but can't keep any of them in stock except the pink.

Here's my question, if your product sells well enough that it is hard to keep in stores, but one specific color never moves, shouldn't this tell you something. Maybe it's just coincidence that three different stores can't seem to sell the pink iPods while the others fly off the shelves, but I doubt it. Shouldn't some sort of marketing guru realize this?

Needless to say, I skipped getting one tonight and ordered one online when I got home. I get silver this way, but it also means I have to wait. 6-8 days? Maybe I should have just bought the pink one.

Until later...

No comments: