March 02, 2005

G-g-g-g-g-G-Unit!

I was inspired to write this post for a few reasons.

First of all, I was on the road again this weekend and while driving through and around Chicago I was listening to an "urban" radio station. This means that I had the ability to listen to Hip Hop on the radio. Here in Kazoo, that's not really much of an option. You only hear Hip Hop if it's Eminem, since he's from Detroit...and white. (Not that I'm implying anything about our radio programming. You can draw your own conclusions.) Anyway, as I went through Chicago, just about every third song, if not actually every other song, was a member of G-Unit. That started me thinking about the various styles and personalities of the different members.

Second, this post over at Preshrunk. I loved his explanation of the shirt and his love for Hip Hop. As a fellow "hopelessly goofy cracker," I understood and agreed completely. That helped push me more toward a Hip Hop post.

On to the subject: As I said, I was thinking about the differing styles of the members of G-Unit. Since we can't do anything that's too normal here at the Fount, I decide to present my thoughts in sort of a yearbook superlative fashion. (Just keep going, you'll see what I mean.)

"Most Likely to Remind Me of a Better Rapper" to Young Buck. Listening to "Let Me In" always makes me think back to Pac and his flow. Young Buck has a style that is reminiscent of Tupac, but nowhere near as good and just makes me wish I were listening to Tupac instead.

"Most Clever/Wittiest Lyrics" to Lloyd Banks. There is at least one line in every Lloyd Banks song that makes me laugh. His clever wordplay is so much better than the cut-and-paste lyrics of so many other MCs today.

"I Can't Think of Anything Other Than Chris Rock's VMA Joke About You" to 50 Cent. It's probably been 2 or 3 years since Chris Rock made a joke at the MTV Video Music Awards about 50 Cent and compared him to Jenna Jameson (Hopefully somebody out there other than me remembers this. I'm not going to retell the joke itself; after all, there may be children reading!). Sadly, this joke is what I think of even this much later.

"Most Likely to Issue Fatwas and Reignite the East Coast-West Coast Rap Jihad" to the Game. He's absolutely dedicated to bringing back West Coast Rap and is highly influenced by NWA. The irony of this is that I had come to this conclusion before seeing this article.

And finally, "Most Likely to Make Me Regress to Being a High Schooler" to the Game. Somehow, listening to Game makes me feel like I stepped into a time warp that sent me back to high school in the early 90's. I suddenly feel the urge to turn the bass up too high and drive around with the radio at unreasonably high volumes. (Yes, I am aware that based on that last article I linked to he's no longer part of G-Unit. I'm just ignoring it for my post.)

Well, I'm off to ponder what ads Google is going to put up since I mentioned Jenna Jameson (oops, now it's twice). I hope reading this amused you as much as it amused me to write it.

Until later...

No comments: