March 06, 2005

Kirk Douglas Shilling for Pepsi?

During tonight's particularly amusing episode of the Simpsons, I saw a commercial for Pepsi I had never seen before.

A brief description: We see a couple guys dressed like Roman soldiers. One of yells out, "Did one of you leave his lunch at the last rest stop?" He holds up a paper bag and begins pulling out the lunch, and sandwich and a Pepsi. We see the paper bag has a name written on it. The soldier shouts again, "It says Spartacus."

Cut to the climactic scene of the 1960 classic with Kirk Douglas standing up followed by Tony Curtis and every other actor yelling, "I am Spartacus."

It was quite amusing. Almost as amusing as the Simpsons' spoofing of Wal-Mart in tonight's episode. In honor of the "Sprawl-Mart" greeters in the episode who were stealing in protest of unfair labor practices, I give you the words of Kanye West from his song Spaceship on The College Dropout: "Let's go back, back to the Gap, Look at my check, wasn't no scratch. So if I stole, wasn't my fault. Yeah, I stole, never got caught."

Anyway, tangent aside, I felt that the Spartacus ad was several times better than any of the Pepsi spots during the Super Bowl.

Until later...

No comments: