June 02, 2008

Next Food Network Star s4ep1

Did anyone else watch The Next Food Network Star last night? I'm not at all surprised by the first person to get kicked off. She had the weakest background and (surprisingly, considering her background) she completely froze every time she was asked to speak. She's not the one I wanted to talk about, however. The woman named Lisa was so bad that by the end of the episode, we were making estimates about how long it would be before someone actually comes out and says that they hate her and whether it will actually happen before she is off the show. If she doesn't change the way she acts, neither of those will take very long. Now, maybe this is not her true personality (and I hope it's not), but rather just her on-air personality which needs to be seriously readjusted. The problem is that, as we saw her last night, she represents everything I dislike about the culinary world*. She talked down to hosts, judges and other contestants and certainly seemed to think that she was doing everyone a favor by being in the competition. I was really surprised that anyone could start off on the show being that pretentious, arrogant and abrasive. I guess we'll see what happens as the season progresses. There seem to be some people with potential this season, but we really won't start to see who stands out for a few more weeks.

Also, how weird is it that not only is there a contestant that is 19 years old, but he was a cast member on the Nickelodeon show All That?

*Yeah, file that one under "posts I'm eventually going to write...No, really. I am."

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Ooo, I'm so glad you guys are watching this too! It was blatantly obvious that Cory was going to go and it's a shame that her nerves got the best of her.

My god, that Lisa. She's clearly going to stick around for a while because of the "villain factor," but she's so freaking annoying, it's unreal. Fine dining, burberry scarves, and charity work? HUH? And did she not hear Alton Brown tell her she was making no sense? I have to admit it was kind of fun to watch the wind taken out of her sails so quickly, but I hope they send her out to sea sooner than later.

I thought I'd hate Kelsey, but I kind of like her! That orzo salad looked good (not the lemon cups, though). I'm digging the single mom (I've already forgotten her name), the improv guy, the 19-year old Nick kid, and the super tall soul food dude. I was hoping to like Nipa, but no.

Can you even imagine what must've been going through Morimoto's head during this whole thing? When he said the one dish was not fit to serve to a human, I almost peed myself. And then to sit him next to Sandra Lee. God, I love Food Network.