June 24, 2008

That's Famous Titles

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we went to Chicago recently. While we did visit family and eat at good restaurants, the reason for this visit (at least, the reason for going at this particular time) was because I was making a fool of myself trying to get on Jeopardy. Yeah, that's right, I still am holding on to that delusion.

I had mentioned previously that I had taken the online test and didn't figure it was good enough to go any further in the process. It wasn't, but after 12 months have passed, you can take the test again. I did, and this time either I did better than I realized or everyone else taking the test just sucked. (I prefer to assume the former.) I got an email back asking for me to come to an audition in person. I, of course, very quickly cleared my schedule (of nothing) and confirmed that I would be attending.


When I arrived for the audition, there were approximately twenty of us waiting for the earlier session to end. After completing our paperwork, and having our pictures taken (I did not want to have that picture taken, and yet if I got my way, I'd end up on TV...that really doesn't make sense, but I suppose I rarely do.), we went into the main room where we were introduced to the people who would be running the session. All of them were incredibly friendly and made us feel very comfortable. They briefly took us through some of the types of clues we should expect and gave us a chance to show that we knew how to answer them. Unlike when you were in school and getting someone to answer a question was next to impossible, the clue would not even be complete and an entire room full of Martin Princes were raising there hands saying, "Pick me teacher. I'm ever so smart!" Once we had this down, it was time for another test. We had all done well enough on the online test, but to narrow us down even further, there were 50 more questions and only 8 seconds to answer each one. After finishing the test, we went up in groups of three to play a very brief version of the actual game. After a few clues, they asked us questions about ourselves to see how we handled them and to see if we were so boring that people would fall asleep or change the channel if we make it to the show.

So, how did I do? Well, I think I did ok on the test and while playing, but let's face it if you're here reading this, you are pretty well aware that I'm a fairly boring individual and I don't have much I can say about myself that would be worth talking about on TV (which brings up a question: if you're aware of how boring I am, why are you still reading this?). Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how I feel I did because I don't get to make the decisions. At the moment, I know nothing and get to wait for 18 months to find out if I did well enough to be on the show or if I should just try the test again. I guess in the end it turns out that auditioning for Jeopardy is a lot like dating: There's a lot of waiting for the phone to ring, a lot of hoping that someone else thinks you are good enough, it's going to include a little humiliation and it's probably going to end in disappointment.

10 comments:

Danielle said...

You're totally going to make it on the show. Did you write "Suck it Trebek" on your monitor? ;) I wonder if anyone has ever seriously done that in an audition!

Anonymous said...

I tried out for College Jeopardy nine years ago (omg I'm old!) and made it through two rounds or so, and got to the point where we had to show off personality and tell a story about ourselves like they do on the show. I froze up because I couldn't think of anything very interesting about myself. Now I kick myself every time I watch that part of the show because NO ONE on that show is at all interesting.

I'm sure you will be VERY interesting when you're on, though. I keep trying out too!

Anonymous said...

Dude! That's totally awesome! I hope you make it.

Damn, 18 months until you find out?

Becki said...

18 months? Seriously?

Andrea said...

Dude! That is awesome. When you find out you made it, you'll have to let us know...

Matt said...

I haven't watched Jeopardy since Bill Murray recited the answers in Groundhog Day, but I'd totally watch if you were on. Live. Commercials and everything.

Oh, and not to be left out of the crowd, let me throw in a Dude! for good measure.

Dude!

Herge Smith said...

Are there big prizes in Jeopardy?

Don't know anything about this game, is it hard then, must be if you need to take loads of tests.

Good luck fella.

Hex said...

18 months... now that's a waiting list.
Aww, don't worry, no one in our family likes having their picture taken. I think it comes from the tendency for all our pictures to be from mealtimes, and the picture's subject with their fork halfway to their mouth.

Poledra said...

I will have to say "ditto" to Hex. Gives the term "mealy mouth" a whole new meaning. O.~

And whats this negative, take the test again and disappointment stuff? Do you need to borrow my pessimist's mug? Has the half empty line pre-marked for you...You'll do fine!

BipolarBunny said...

That doesn't make you a fool. It's really cool. Let's us know if you make it.