June 18, 2008

Topolobampo

We went to Chicago last weekend (more on the why later), and while we were there we went to eat at Topolobampo (one of the restaurants owned by Rick Bayless the host of Mexico: One Plate at a Time). We had eaten at Frontera a few years ago, but this was our first visit to the more "upscale" Topolobampo. The atmosphere, service and food were wonderful.

Here's a quick rundown of what we had. (Descriptions lifted from the online menu at the restaurant website and slightly blurry pictures taken in low light with a cameraphone.)

I started out with the Sopa Azteca (not pictured, because we didn't think to start taking pictures until our entrees arrived.): dark broth flavored with pasilla, with grilled chicken, avocado, Meadow Valley Farm hand-made Jack cheese, thick cream and crisp tortilla strips.

I can say without hyperbole that it was one of the best if not the best soup I have ever had.

I ordered the Puerco Pibil: achiote-marinated Maple Creek Farm pork two ways: grill-roasted loin and slow-cooked shoulder in banana leaves. Guero chile rajas, black barley, habanero-dressed "shoots" salad, pickled red onions.

Puerco Pibil at Topolobampo

while Melissa had the Langosta al Mojo de Ajo: pan-roasted Maine lobster with red chile mojo de ajo (olive oil-poached garlic). Giant butter beans, roasted fresh favas and "ancho crunch."

Langosta al Mojo de Ajo at Topolobampo

For dessert I can't simply steal the names and descriptions of what we had from the website because the dessert menu isn't online, so you're stuck with what I remember (which is certainly not the names since they were in Spanish).

My dessert was a chocolate-almond cake with caramel/cashew ice cream and Melissa's was a rhubarb tartlet with coconut ice cream.

Chocolate Almond Cake at Topolobampo Rhubarb Tart at Topolobampo

When we left, we did see Rick Bayless in the restaurant talking with some friends, but decided not to get the cameraphone out to take an intrusive picture. We had a good time and enjoyed the food, and I personally really look forward to going to Frontera or Topolobampo again.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Fancy restaurants scare me to the point that I've avoided them thus far. When I look at the menu I have no idea what they are talking about and I get all self conscious and awkward and fidgety. Like a 5 year old. If I don't see steak or chicken mentioned, I'd have no idea what to order. I'm realizing more and more that I truly am a simpleton...