June 13, 2008

What's Happening Now?

We just got back from seeing the newest M. Night Shyamalan movie, The Happening. I'll try to discuss it without spoilers to begin with, but any full discussion will require some spoilers. I'll give warning before I get to that point, though.

As the movie begins, there is something happening. I know this because they tell us repeatedly. In fact, it appears to be an event that's happening. Whatever this event is, it seems to make people stop talking, walk backwards and then commit suicide. The movie follows Elliot, a science teacher played by Marky Mark, and his wife, played by Zooey Deschanel, as they try to escape from whatever it is that's happening.

The first problem is that the acting highlight of the film is Marky Mark. John Leguizamo? Really bad. Zooey Deschanel? Simply horrible; her emotions never changes throughout the entire film, and I don't even know what to call the one she shows. Even if the delivery were better, I'm not sure it could have saved the dialogue they were required to say. There are times when you watch a movie and you realize that it just isn't connecting with the audience emotionally. This was certainly one of those times. Mass suicide: not supposed to be funny. When there are touching scenes involving families being torn apart or people dealing with loss, the audience should feel touched.

That's not to say it's all bad. There were moments in the movie, that really worked. Here and there, I felt the tension that we were supposed to feel the whole time or
could see the way he was building toward something or was surprised by developments. Unfortunately, these few moments were not enough to balance out the others. I had a good time going to the theater and watching it, but it doesn't change the fact that this really was not a good movie.

Now, to things that can only be discussed with spoilers. Those of you who haven't seen it and don't want to be spoiled, should probably stop now. (and since I don't know what people will say in the comments, you might want to avoid those too)


A little spoiler safe space...



Really, that is our big bad guy in this movie? Plants? This idea is fairly bad on its own, but it is made even worse by some of the things it causes. Trying to "stay ahead of the wind." I know chase scenes seem obligatory in movies like this, but running from the wind?

The video of the zoo keeper feeding himself to the lions, in addition to being just awful looking (to the point that most of the theater laughed at it), didn't make much sense. So, the zoo keeper was affected by the toxin, but no one else around him was or most people were, but one person was not affected and decided to record it with their camera phone and send it to everyone else? Wasn't anyone in a panic and trying not to die, yet? Apparently, not enough to keep them from sending this new really cool video they saw.

I was definitely caught off guard by the people shooting the two boys with Elliot. The idea of the panic that was caused and that people would turn against each other, while not breaking new ground, was one of the better and better executed ideas in the movie.

One thing that did work well were many of the sequences in Mrs. Jones's house. Specifically, when Elliot was trying to find her and came upon the room with the doll. That scene was Shyamalan really playing to his strength and slowly building tension. Unfortunately, it had almost nothing to do with the actual story.

One of the worst things about the film is that many of the best things about the film were the comic relief scenes. Unfortunately, there was not enough tension to make us need that relief.

After seeing Unbreakable, Signs and The Village (I have yet to see Lady in the Water), I was one of the people who defended the movies. When people pointed out their flaws, I said, sure but what about this scene or this idea, always focusing on the positive aspects. After seeing The Happening, I think my days as apologist are over.

2 comments:

Herge Smith said...

I'm really put off, I've also been an Shymalan apologist, with the exception of the village which blows. I even like Lady in the Water - everyone hates that.

It sounds so so bad, what's going on with him? Such promise with Signs/ Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense...

Matt said...

So we went to see it last night, mostly on a lark, but also because most critics hated it, yet it made $30mil opening weekend. I read the top part of your review, so I warned K that "Craig hated it" which almost stopped us. But not quite. Call it curiosity.

Then, on the way home from the theater, I pulled out her iPhone and looked up your full review. You should know that we enjoyed your prose very much and laughed aloud as we read things that we'd just talked about verbatim. Especially the part about the wind. That was his big monster? A breeze? And then, to expound, if the plants are coming up with these toxins, how are they manipulating the weather? I'd like to know.

And what was the deal with the mood ring? He (Night) spent so much time focusing on it, that I felt assured it would play a more significant part than a trip down memory lane.

All that aside, I walked away kind of liking it. Kind of. I think it helped that you set my expectations at rock-bottom and I'd already heard that there was (gasp!) no twist ending. So I wasn't expecting anything and got slightly more than I hoped for.

I think if the acting wasn't so bad I would say it was a good movie. For now the best I can come up with is that it's a bad movie that I enjoyed anyway.