May 30, 2008

That's Dark, Jack. Very Dark.

I really don't have the time to discuss last night's Lost finale in the way it deserves. Instead, I'll just give you a few of my highlights...

(Clearly, you don't want to read this if you haven't seen it and are avoiding spoilers.)

- Miles ended up being a fairly under used character because of the strike shortened season, but he has delivered some great lines both in terms of amusement and in terms of show mythology. Last night's "what do I mean?" was both.

- Finding out that there is more to Charlotte than an obnoxious freighter person who criticizes everyone.

- Michael's redemption arc coming to an end with him sacrificing his life to try to give everyone just a few more moments to get away.

- YJK's performance as Sun both as hysterical grieving wife and revenge plotting business woman.

- Locke coming into his own as Ben's successor. Ben's dismissal of him, ending with "You'll find your way, John. You always do." Was perfect for Locke, the man who wants to be a leader, but has always been desperate for the approval and guidance of any male authority figure to realize that he doesn't need it. Unfortunately, I think the power and importance of this scene (and Ben's realization that he is leaving and not coming back) might have been overshadowed by other things later in the episode.

- The island's disappearing act.

- Hurley calling Jack out on the fact that there is no way he could possibly explain what happened other than Locke moving the island. "Unless we overlooked it..."

- The look of resignation on Jack's face when he realized that Hurley had him and that Locke was right all along. That was probably the moment where Jack began to move toward the path that would lead him to Hoffs/Drawlar in Through the Looking Glass.

- "If you mean time-travelling bunnies, yes."

- The look on Locke's face when he sees Ben doing exactly what Halliwax is telling him never to do.

- Ben's revenge for Alex.

- "So?"

- Sawyer's sacrifice and eventual return to the island.

- "Checkmate, Mr. Eko."

- Desmond and Penny reuniting. As soon as the captions said "shouting in Portuguese," I sat up a little straighter hoping that these were the Portuguese guys from Penny's listening station in the finale of Season 2.

- Christian Shephard really just won't stay dead, will he?

- Sawyer calling Frank "Kenny Rogers."

- For the second year in a row they have taken and idea which, on paper, sounds like it might be horrible and made it work perfectly. (Wait, so they are going to turn a giant wheel covered in ice and make the island disappear?)

- "Bad things happened...and it was all my fault."

- The set up for season 5.

- So much more.

and of course, the questions...

- Where/when did the island go?

- If Ben can't ever go back after moving the island, why does he seem to think he's going back?

- How did Locke get off the island?

- Why is Locke off the island? Was it just to try to get the O6 to come back?

- Who is involved in "all of you have to go back"? The whole O6? Desmond? Frank? Walt?

- Is Sun really wanting to help Widmore? I have to admit to watching that scene hoping she was a double agent (for lack of a better term) and that the second person she blames is Widmore.

- Did Jin die or is he going to make it back to the island?

- What did Miles mean about Charlotte spending so much time trying to get back?

- Did Charlotte just imply that she was born on Craphole Island? How is this possible?

- Did Dan et al get transported to the same place as the island?

and finally

- What happened to Locke?

And now it's back into Lost hibernation for a few months really long time until it's time for the new season. (It does appear that there is a new ARG starting, but I just can't get into those because they take so much time for so little payoff.)

How about you? Highlights and/or questions?

Namaste and good luck.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you on most points EXCEPT the wheel that makes the Island move. I had a moment of, "that's it. I think I'm done with this show." And I still don't know if I'm over it.

Craig said...

I know exactly what you mean about the wheel. It's seems pretty random and out of place. Once I started thinking about it, however, I realized a couple of things (1) it's not like it would exactly be believable if there were a button or switch that made a whole section of the world teleport either. Why can't it be a wheel? (2) They have set things up to make it very clear that many of the weird things on the island are not new. They seem to date from well before Dharma came. Smokey came from behind a weird ancient looking door. There is a temple that is supposedly the safe place. The Black Rock crashed there long ago. The four-toed statue is supposedly important and is obvious quite old. If the "negatively-charged exotic matter" was present on the island already, perhaps the original inhabitants found a way to utilize it before Dharma ever showed up.

I realize that this probably doesn't change your mind, but I thought I'd share my thought process that made me feel better about the idea.

Anonymous said...

I'm scrolling your list and thinking, "Ok, I have to add...oh, there it is...and how about...oh, there it is...but what about...yep, he's got that too!" Most excellent. "So?" had to be my favorite moment of the entire episode.

I totally bought into the wheel. For a minute I had a thought that the island is really a gigantic submarine of sorts, completely created by humans.

Matt said...

Great summary.

My opinion re: Jin is that he's not dead. Typically, in these TV shows, if they want you to really believe someone is dead, they'll show him dying (Charlie), show the body (Eko) or, as in Michael's case, leave him right next to the exploding bomb.

Whenever they leave it ambiguous like they did with Jin, they'll bring him back if they can.

Esther said...

I really hope Jin isn't dead. I want to know what made Locke die, and if when he was back in regular world he was paralyzed or not.