May 23, 2008

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Yesterday we went to see Indy 4 for Melissa's birthday. Unfortunately, it's a hard movie to review. It has a lot of baggage before it ever gets started that will make people's opinions tilt one way or the other. There is no way to look at the movie without looking back at Raiders or even looking back over the 20 or so years since The Last Crusade came out.

You know what: If you aren't ready for total geek mode, you might want to turn back now, because you are about to reach the point of no return. So, before I get into that, I'll give you my recommendation: If you want to go see it, go see it. Don't go in expecting to see Raiders again, but go in expecting to have fun. Many people like it, many people don't. I liked it and would be glad to see it again.

Going in, I was excited yet skeptical. I knew it wasn't going to be Raiders again. Nothing else is Raiders of the Lost Ark. Even Han Solo has a hard time being as awesome as Indy in his first film. Likewise, I was aware that Harrison Ford had aged. Everyone does, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to see Indy become older. He is supposed to be young and practically invincible. Harrison Ford is well into his 60's now, and I didn't know what to think of the possibility of an older Indy who couldn't do everything he used to do. The doubts all went away the first time I saw him put on the hat. The feeling of nostalgia took over, and it was time to just go along for the ride. Ford is Indiana Jones. Even in his 60's, he still makes you believe that he can do whatever it takes to keep important artifacts out of the hands of the movie's evil group (i.e. Nazis, cultists, Russians).

The not so good:

One thing that the films have always been good at is stretching the believable as far as possible, but never too far. Indy would get into a situation that seemed inescapable, but with a wave of the writer's deus ex machina wand, a way would appear. It would never work that way for you or me, but this is Indiana Jones we're talking about here. Early in the film, however, he was put into a situation that served no real purpose for the story, and the way of escape provided was absurd even for Indiana Jones movies. It bothered me when it happened and continued to distract me for a while.

There were a few other things I had issues with as well, but none were truly major. Much as I was in the previous paragraph, I am going to be intentionally vague to avoid spoiling things for anyone who hasn't seen it, but hopefully those who have seen it will know what I am discussing. The biggest of the issues was the central theme of the movie. It took me a little while to decide that it really wasn't too much of a departure from the other films, which used religious, mythical and supernatural issues as the back drop for the story, but that it had just taken a different turn when dealing with them. I realize this was a real problem for some people, but for me the issue was more temporary and then I adjusted my suspension of disbelief to accept it. Other issues included Shia and the monkeys, moving car swordfights, and the fact that we have apparently reached the point where the humor in the film needed to included repeated hits to the crotch.

The so-so:

Cate Blanchett, who seemed to be to big of a name for the part, was ok as a villain, but was certainly no Belloq or Toht. Then again, thinking back on The Last Crusade, I realize that there were villains, but I remember them more as faceless Nazis performing the role of antagonist than anything resembling a true villain.

The good:

I was certainly skeptical of Shia LaBoeuf as a new major character, but The Beef turned in a solid performance and was a welcome addition to the group.

Once Karen Allen and Harrison Ford were back onscreen together, their chemistry (which mostly involves arguing) was back to what made them by far the best couple in any of the Indy movies (which is probably why they are the one to be in 2 movies).

As is the case with all of the movies, the best part is Harrison Ford stepping into the role of Indy. He wears the rogue's smile as easily as he wears the fedora. He is smart, adventurous and always gets the girl. An entire generation of boys grew up wanting to be him, and now that those boys are men, they can continue wanting be like Indy when they grow up, even if that means never growing up.

3 comments:

Matt said...

I held off reading your review until I'd had a chance to see it myself. We just got back. You're kinder than I'll be.

Happy Birthday to Melissa!

Marni said...

I went with my 12 year old son who hasn't watched any of the originals... he was impressed and watching it from his perspective, so was I.

I enjoyed it only because I went in with only one expectation -- it was Indiana Jones. Campy, cheesy and fun.

I don't think I'll go see it again in the theater, but I will definitely buy it for my Indy collection (which I have ordered)

Andrea said...

Ya know...my thoughts on the movie are exactly your thoughts! Especially this:

Early in the film, however, he was put into a situation that served no real purpose for the story, and the way of escape provided was absurd even for Indiana Jones movies. It bothered me when it happened and continued to distract me for a while.

That bothered me. A LOT! He didn't even appear to be bloodied or banged or bruised! I mean...come on. This is Indiana Jones not John McClane, but even McClane gets banged and bruised.

The monkeys and the driving sword fight bothered me. That was too much.

Blanchett's accent bugged me. I kept sporadically breaking out into giggles because I expected her to start talking about moose and squirrel.

I also had a hard time with the whole...theme. I thought the rumors were false and I was wrong and I dunno. I mean, it fits with the time frame and it does, as you say, fit with the other movies. But it still kinda bugs me.

But it was awesome seeing him put on his hat and his grin and say things that Indy says. Even if some of those things were so Indy that they were predictable. But in a nice comfy shoe way.

And if guys all want to be Indy, then all girls also want to be Mary. Who wouldn't want to be standing next to Indiana Jones in life? I mean, really!